The State of College App Competition

With seniors at DVC finishing their college applications and receiving their admission notices from different schools, it is important for students to remember that colleges tend to be harder to get into now than they previously were.

Over the course of the past few years, schools have become more competitive. This is mainly due to a higher number of students applying to colleges, making the chances of getting accepted lower than they previously were. 

Principal of DVC, Erin D’Souza, spoke on how different her process of applying to colleges was compared to now. 

“For me, there were no drop downs or digital submissions like students have now, all applications were sent through the mail,” said D’Souza. “I do think it’s easier to apply to different colleges now and believe that factors into more applicants overall.”

An article by Premium Prep mentioned how statistics play a huge factor in applying to colleges now, as they stated, “It’s simple math: when admit rates go down, it means that more applicants are rejected, and a more competitive application pool is inevitably created.”

In addition, test scores being optional for students now makes applying to colleges one step easier. An article by College Reality Check stated, “Trends such as going test-optional, increasing diversity, and emphasis on demonstrated interest can make the admissions process competitive, especially at institutions known for their high selectivity level.” 

Kori Higgins shared her opinion on test-optional colleges, and how it has affected her confidence while going along with applications.

“I’m happy about optional SAT scores because you can’t judge a person as a whole based on their test-taking skills,” Higgins said. “A lot of people are more articulate when it comes to different aspects.” 

Additionally, a lot of DVC seniors used the Common App, a website that allows students to send out their college essays and additional information to multiple schools through one website. This has made applying to any private or out-of-state schools a lot simpler than they previously were. An article by PrepWell Academy supported this fact, stating that with college portals such as Common App, it is much quicker and more efficient to apply to a variety of colleges. 

As someone who applied to a diverse amount of colleges and universities, Ryann Frye knows about the competition with colleges. 

“The process of applying through Common App was easy, I’m so relieved I could apply to all of my private and out-of-state schools through one portal,” said Frye. “Once I completed my essay, I just needed my supplementals.” 

Keeping in mind how things have shifted in the college system is important. Students should be easier on themselves, especially in this aspect. College acceptances are something that should not define students’ worth, especially with things constantly changing in the academic world.