Fidget Toys Make A Big Impact In School Settings

For many, fidget toys are fun gadgets to collect and play with. For others, they are a way to cope with different factors such as calming stress and nerves. With a rise in popularity, students found that bringing these toys to school helped their overall focus in class–but is there a danger in toys like these becoming popular? 

For those with attention deficit disorders, a gadget such as a fidget toy can prove to be beneficial to their overall learning. An article by PACER.org asserted that for those with ADHD or autism, fidget toy

s are a way for people to concentrate while getting rid of nerves. These gadgets were initially created to help keep people’s hands occupied to allow their mind to feel more at ease. 

In 2017, fidget spinners and fidget cubes became a worldwide trend. School administrations across the country saw the sudden rise in popularity, as students would bring them to class and spin or hold them throughout the day. According to The Daily Gazette, many see fidget toys as a distraction and a danger to students. 

This trend caused fidget toys to become banned from schools across the country, and students who had used them for reasons to help them focus or feel less anxious were no longer able to bring them to class. This ban heavily impacted those who used fidget toys for a reason pertaining to their inability to focus in class and who found them to be beneficial. Adan Davis Zelaya, a student at DVC, feels these bans are unnecessary. 

“For the majority, it may be a distraction, but for the select few that do have learning disabilities should not have these bans impact them…if it helps [the kids’] focus, administration should push to do what helps these kids,” he said. 

Jazmin Jacamo, a senior at DVC, shared a similar view and expressed her belief that there should not be drastic measures in banning these gadgets.

“There is no harm in these toys,” said Jacamo. “It’s supposed to make you more focused…with this new trend, it definitely depends [on] how kids treat these toys.” 

As quickly as trends shift, they are cyclical. In 2021, a different fidget toy rose in popularity. Pop-its are a type of fidget toy that serve the same purpose as previous ones. 

At DVC, there are no regulations against any fidget toys. Not many schools have taken drastic measures in banning Pop-its, but if the issue of administrations not recognizing the importance of these toys continues, the possibility of having regulations on these toys increases. 

An article published by Inc. explains how drastic this issue has become, as administrations aim to ban these toys, while students and parents say they help with students’ learning. DVC student Anahi Torres shared her opinion on fidget toys.

“I really don’t see a problem [with fidget toys], I feel that other schools want to ban them simply because they’re considered toys,” said Torres. 

At DVC, inclusion and support is a priority to the school’s culture. The continuation of accommodating those who have different needs and benefit from using fidget toys is key to equality for all students. Additionally, continuing to create a safe community where all individuals feel included and safe is essential to creating a better educational environment for everyone