Let’s Take a Look At DVC’s Post-Quarantine Club Fair

On the sunny afternoon of Sept. 16, Da Vinci Communications hosted its very first Post-Quarantine Club Fair, which featured over 30 different club booths across the DVC floor. 

Among those groups were clubs ranging from Conspiracy Theories to American Sign Language, and almost every other topic, hobby, and sport. While some students and staff seem wary of the effect COVID-19 might have on club dynamics, most are excited to get back into the swing of in-person school and what that entails. Donald Puathasnanon, a Precalculus & Geometry teacher who manages the Women Empowerment Club explained the challenges clubs face with new COVID-19 protocols. 

“Number one, not having dedicated spaces… that’s going to be hard,” said Donald Puathasnanon, a Precalculus and Geometry teacher who manages the Women Empowerment Club. “A lot of clubs have always met at lunch… But now… we can’t use those rooms, they can’t eat up here… so I think that’s going to be the biggest effect.” 

On the other hand, Donald also mentioned the excitement students might be feeling and how that could greatly affect the success of most clubs at DVC, “We’ll see after the club fair, but I think people are looking to find things that are awesome.”

This may be true, especially since more than half of the students at DVC are spending their first year physically on campus, and many are excited to find their clique, their niche, and to overall enrich their high school experience. Diego Marquez, a junior at DVC, explained what he looks for when joining a club. 

“I just join if it seems interesting, and if it seems boring, then I’m out,” said Marquez. He looks forward to his time in the Latino Community Club, Fantasy Football, and Movie Club.

Another student, sophomore Akira Miles, hasn’t had much time to participate in the clubs she joined during the fair, but anticipates her time in Black Student Union, Cheer Team, and the Art and Multimedia Design Club. She values diversity, the activities, and the general appeal of a club when deciding what to join, and hasn’t had any regrets so far. Lots of students at DVC haven’t had the opportunity to witness the way clubs bring out DVC culture, and how much that affects the school population.

“I mean some clubs have the ability to really just create interest groups, and just culture around campus,” said Puathasnanon. “Clubs like Black Student Union, and the LatinX club, and things like that, they put on cultural days, and… You know Girls Who Code does amazing work just trying to empower women in the sciences.”