Da Vinci’s Wasted Land: Where’s the Soccer Field?

Since Da Vinci Wiseburn’s inception in early 2017, our school board has promised to build a field for soccer, instilling hope for more future sports activities and opportunities. Unfortunately, each year they have failed. 

To this day, the new Da Vinci schools have spent millions of dollars on a 40,000 square-foot gymnasium and 13.8 million dollar aquatics center. The Daily Breeze stated, “A gymnasium, soccer field, and a $13.8 million shared aquatics center are on track to be completed by the end of June.”  

In the aftermath of that statement, we still have yet to see the soccer field plan come to fruition. What lies there today, is a gated-off, dirt patch of land left for no use. Many students have been waiting for a soccer field since their first year at Da Vinci, and have now lost hope in their beloved field ever being built. 

“I have been waiting for the field to be built since my freshman year… I was told it will be done when I come back as a sophomore,” said Makayla Wilson, captain of the women’s varsity soccer team. It has been four years since the promise and many seniors have let go of the idea of an on-campus field. She later explained, “I lost hope of it being built when I saw nothing was being done my sophomore year and when I saw more investments were being put towards other things at Da Vinci.” 

Not only are there student complaints about not having a field but there are also concerns from the coaches on not having a field. Gerson Justiniano, varsity head coach for the Da Vinci women’s team, stated, “I would prefer… to have a better field for you girls, so you girls won’t be getting injured.” 

Second coach, Inmer Citalan added his views and concerns when it comes to not having a field, “Better training, better plays, making plays that are game-like, that will help us on winning games.” 

There are many downfalls to not having a field on-campus. When Juan Cervantes, Assistant Coach at the University of Los Angeles was asked about the benefits of having a field on campus he said, “The most important thing is safety. As Student-athletes…you are overseen by everyone else, there is a huge lens on every single action that you are doing, there are people who are waiting for the opportunities, and athletes always fall under endangerment from society, and the people, and pretty much you want to make sure your athletes are safe.” 

Cervantes refers to falling under endangerment when he discussed the dangers of not having a field, “I mean you don’t know what some people are up to, you don’t want to get them into trouble, accidents, some of them are barely learning how to drive, they’re not that experienced, so anything that can be on campus, pretty much keeps everyone safe.” The liability and safety issue is the point Cervantes is making. The school would technically be at fault if a student was injured commuting to the field because a field is not provided on-campus.  

The students just want to have a field, just to have some sense of a regular school. When will it happen? CEO Matthew Wunder said, “I will not give a specific or firm date because there are many factors that could delay construction… I would like to see construction begin next summer, but this is a target and not a commitment.”