Senioritis: You can fight this!

Josh Villa, Staff Writer

Sen·ior·i·tis A crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. It’s more real than what they serve for school lunch.

This premature, career-ending disease occurs during the senior year of high school, when students start to slack off and feel that their school work is unimportant. Senior year grades count too, unless you want to struggle looking for a job that only pays minimum wage.

As seniors across the country approach their last year of high school, they have to prepare themselves for more excruciating stress. They are maintaining grades, balancing extracurriculars, making sure to score well on their SAT/ACT and making the most nerve racking discovery of all – finding out if they are admitted to the college of their dreams.

According to CollegeBoard, a nonprofit that connects students to college success and opportunity, “every year, colleges rescind offers of admission, put students on academic probation, or alter financial aid packages as a result of senioritis.”

Colleges see both a midyear grade report and a final transcript, and they expect students to maintain previous levels of academic success.

Twenty-three soon-to-be college freshmen found themselves without a college when the University of Washington revoked their acceptances during the summer because of their poor grades at the end of the year.

One of the most common symptoms of this life changing disease is the feeling of laziness and lack of effort  put into school work, because it is the last year inside the walls we’ve been enclosed in for four years.

Even students here at DVC are not immune to senioritis, as the class of 2017 has already begun to experience the initial symptoms of this teen spirit disease.

Mario Ruiz, a senior at Da Vinci Communications, shared his thoughts on the issue, explaining his experiences of senioritis at a public school versus here at Da Vinci Communications.

“Right here at Da Vinci, teachers are pretty good at keeping kids on task,” the senior said, “… teachers help you out and even [look out] for you when they feel something’s up.”

“I feel like that here there’s not that much of a negative concern for them. Some juniors slack off, but they get back in line. Da Vinci is always watching you. [Students who attend public schools] don’t get that much attention,” explained Ruiz, “That’s what’s great about the educational environment at this school. You have support. Some students have yet to realize how good they have it.”

Another high-spirited Senior at DVC, Noah Goldman, also shared his views on the epidemic that seniors catch every year.

“How I view it, after 11th grade, many people change since they are kind of exhausted even after the summer. Also, with the prospect of college coming in, you kind of start caring less about high school.”

“You kind of care about [your grades] a little at the start of the first semester but that quickly starts to degrade more and more,” Goldman elaborates,”For senioritis here at Da Vinci, the teachers are really gonna look out for it. Plus the way the school is structured is so [senioritis] doesn’t happen. With [public] schools, they don’t care that much.”

And so I repeat: senioritis is something to keep in mind and to avoid once you enter your last year of highschool.

You may not think it’s crucial, but your 12th grade gpa is being monitored by the colleges in which have already accepted you. All colleges reserve the right to revoke and reject your admission because of your sudden slack and poor grade efforts.

Although it’s normal for the DVC Teachers to check up on you, help you, and throw you back on track, it’s your responsibility to keep yourself in check once you reach this last, crucial, year of highschool.