COVID Check-In: The New Normal

Alexis Marquez

Covid-19 caused schools to close, students needed to learn online and teachers had to teach all their lessons on Zoom or other apps. Due to this factor, many students have started to fall behind.

According to the New York Times, many students are falling behind on all of their school work that they have to do in their classes because they either don’t have access to a computer, their home internet connection is slow, or they are not receiving enough direct instruction from teachers. Freshman in Santa Monica College, Anna Rose, talked about her experience on having to learn online and some issues she encountered.

“For the most part, during my Sociology class, it [connectivity issues] comes up a lot. Actually the audio is really choppy,”  said Rose. “We’ll just be listening to static for a good 20 minutes.”

Many students get distracted easily while doing online classes because they don’t have a quiet place where they can sit and concentrate to do their work and are susceptible to using their phones instead of participating in class. This has been a major contributor to the fact that many students have fallen behind and not gotten the grades that they would usually get if they would physically go to class. Kayli Iwamoto, a junior at DVC, also talks about some issues that have caused her to fall behind in her classes. 

“Since you’re at home and not at school, there’s so many distractions at home, whether it be watching TV being on your phone playing games, it’s so easy to get distracted, there’s little to no restrictions since your teacher isn’t there to tell you shouldn’t be doing those things,” said Iwamoto. “So it’s so easy to get caught behind in schoolwork.”

Some teachers find it more difficult having to teach online due to the lack of engagement in their lessons. They’ve started to notice that students don’t really participate as much as they would if they were physically in class or as much as teachers would like to see. They have also noticed that many students are usually on their phone instead of paying attention. Much like their students, teachers have also encountered many issues while holding Zoom classes. For example, issues with a student’s audio that keeps cutting out while they are talking makes it harder for the teacher to understand what they are saying. 

Ashley Hapner, a junior English teacher, talks about the lack of participation in her class.

“I think it’s easy to just say like well my mic broke and then not talk, which is fine like I completely understand that,” said Hapner. “But, I’ve noticed that the engagement is a lot less frequent than it would be if we were in a classroom.”