Pursuing Passions Through a Screen

Cierra Pringle

The student-led clubs at Da Vinci are very essential and crucial for many students’ high school experiences. With remote online learning, clubs will have to be run quite differently during this time.

In the past, most clubs were held at least once a week during lunch or after school. Clubs provided a space to meet and connect with new people, learn new things, and have great conversations about the many things students are interested in. Students usually met up in a classroom or a room for student use on campus to participate in different activities and discussions pertaining to the purpose of the club they were in.

Clubs weren’t only used for socializing and creating relationships with other students. Clubs are also very good to put on college applications so that different colleges and universities can see how involved students are with school activities.

On Monday September 14, all of the new and returning clubs were posted on the DV Clubs website with short videos for each club that explain what all the clubs are and their purposes. At DVC, there are a total of 17 clubs for students to participate in this semester with an additional 22 clubs that students from any of the three Da Vinci high schools can join.

This year, student club leaders need to find new ways to keep their participants and members engaged since no one can see each other in person at the moment. The question is, how will they be able to do that?

“I want a lot of student involvement,” said junior leader of Amnesty International Club Larissa Lawson. “I wanna have a lot of group discussions and open discussions because I believe that when we share our different perspectives and viewpoints we’re able to learn more.”

In her club’s focus on human rights, Lawson has high hopes of getting students involved in the world around them and helping those who feel they’ve been discriminated against.

Having open discussions and chats are a big part of what makes up a lot of clubs’ curriculums. Having these discussions bring students together in a mature manner and allow them to feel safe talking about anything they want.

“I think it’s an opportunity for everyone to just really get out there and voice their opinion,” explained Jaylon Jones, leader of The Club of Afro Unity and Afrocentric Education (AUAE). “I do not judge people based off of their opinion or their views. I really judge people on how they can construct their opinion…How can you kinda sell me on your ideas?”

Since creating AUAE last year, Jones and his co-leaders have created an environment in their club that allows participants to feel like they aren’t being judged for what they say but rather how they bring their opinions forward.

Although club leaders and participants may have trouble with connecting with one another through a screen, there is still lots of room and safe space for students to feel comfort with the clubs they are in.

“We’re here for a purpose and we’re all here to learn,” stated Jones. “Say what you have to say and really come here for a community.”