Home is Where the Panic Is: Families Adapt to Coronavirus Duties

Kailey Torres

Schools all across the coast have been shut down due to the Coronavirus. This has resorted to online schooling with students staying home to protect themselves from any exposure. However, this pandemic has created a larger problem for parents who now need to potentially balance both working from home and teaching their children. 

The Coronavirus has become a global problem and is causing a disturbance in other aspects of people’s daily lives. It has caused fear to spread through many families who are stocking up their homes like there’s no tomorrow.  The virus, however, isn’t the only thing causing parents stress, it’s causing children stress as well.

The Washington Post took it upon themselves to answer parents’ questions about how to teach and maintain their child’s routine throughout this sudden break. 

“It’s even more important to try to keep them on a routine. Have them get up at the same time through Friday and keep a reasonable bedtime. Set a schedule of when they will read, when they will do math, when they will have free time, meals and physical activity,”  said Melanie Auerbach, director of Student Support at Sheridan School. 

The article stated that parents need to keep in mind that kids shouldn’t be in front of a screen for hours on end.

“Be realistic and build in breaks, because sitting and working for three hours in a row isn’t a recipe for success for most children,” said Auerbach.

Not every student has a teacher video chatting with their class in order to give instruction. Since there is an absence of the teacher, it causes the parents to take their place and assist the children with their work. There are also many situations where the parent(s) are not always available to help their children.

“It has stressed my husband and I because we are trying to figure out babysitting for the kids and coordinating how to help with school work and meeting all of their needs,” stated Dania Molina, mother of five children.

Some homes are fortunate where they don’t struggle when it comes to food, childcare, education, etc. But whether another household has a single or double income, if a parent has to stay home in order to care for their child, the house is affected. The loss of that money can cause struggles for the parent(s) to make ends meet.  

Molina expressed how money might have a negative impact on her and her family during this pandemic. 

“We are eating more food than usual because we are home longer, therefore wondering if we will have enough money to buy more food if our jobs shut down and we don’t get paid,” said Molina. “Unfortunately, we live paycheck to paycheck and depend on that check.”

During this tough time is when some may turn to family for comfort in order to get through this. But the quarantine and fear of the virus have also caused families to put restrictions on themselves despite the need of a loved one. 

“Our family has a lot of birthdays around this time and so not really being able to celebrate them sucks,” said freshman Noah Haines.

The thought of being home all day sounds like the dream when you spend an exhausting day at school or work. But now that the dream is finally here, homes are under high stress. The only thing to do now is to keep yourself busy, keep clean, and take care of yourself and your family.