The Coronavirus Global Crisis is Suddenly a School Crisis

Maya Lyou, Copy Editor

On Thursday, March 12th, Da Vinci Schools announced that they are beginning to take precautionary measures to keep students safe and avoid any possible contact with the Coronavirus (COVID-19), although there are currently no known cases in the district or on campuses. 

Starting Monday, March 16th, Da Vinci schools will begin virtual instruction until further notice. Students will be expected to work from home on their school work every day with the same schedule as they would on a normal school day.

Administration at Wiseburn School District is taking extra steps to guarantee that students and families are educated on COVID-19 and what they will do to ensure safety in classrooms. They have created a link on the Da Vinci Schools website specifically for information and updates regarding COVID-19. The most recent report notified the school that “non-essential” gatherings (SLCs, Exhibition, field trips, sports games and practices, etc.) have been canceled furthermore recommending safety measures to take during this time (including staying home if a student feels ill, increasing cleanings and disinfecting resources, etc.).

“We received information late yesterday from the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) that we are in Scenario ll of the California Department of Public Health School Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19. Scenario II defines the measures to be taken if there are two or more community transmission cases of COVID-19, but no individuals (student or staff) at the school have tested positive,” posted Matthew Wunder, the Chief Executive Officer for Da Vinci Schools. 

Da Vinci, along with many schools in the nation, are in a predicament. Nothing like this has ever happened before and the administration must go about it carefully without causing panic amid the global crisis.  

Many students have expressed anger and frustration towards the effect the virus has on school and how the administration is handling it.

“If there is real danger from the virus, I think the measures we’ve taken are too lenient, since all of the students are still crowded together in one building. I feel the most effective solution would be to shut down the school entirely,” said Rowan Glenn, a DVS senior, before the closing of the school took effect. “Though the decisions being made may not make sense to me, I trust that the administration is doing the best that they can with whatever information they have.”

One of the biggest frustrations with students is the lack of sports training and games/meets. All spring sports have essentially been put “on hold.” A large amount of the student population participates in spring sports including swimming, volleyball, softball, baseball, and track. 

“As an athlete, I am very disappointed because I have been training over the summer and school year for volleyball. Our team was planning to go far this season, and we also had a tournament this weekend,” said Xzavier Padilla, a DVS junior on the boys’ varsity volleyball team. “I am sad that I won’t be able to compete in this weekend’s tournament because it is a chance for us to become better by playing competitive teams.”

The cancelation of games/meets has caused many students to feel like what they’ve been training for is a complete waste. Student-athletes feel as if they are being stripped of their abilities to improve and compete.

“These measures will be very detrimental to the swim season. Swimming is a sport that has to be practiced constantly and any interruptions, even for a few days, can cause noticeable deterioration in both speed and technique,” said Glenn, who’s also on the varsity swim team.

Not only are student-athletes having to stop their training, but the senior class is being heavily impacted by the event cancellations. Seniors are worried that culture-building events like Grad Night, prom, and even their graduation will also be canceled. 

COVID-19 has taken a hit on the Da Vinci community, something many thought would not happen. However, these precautions are necessary to keep the Da Vinci community safe and maintain the virus as best as possible.