Listen to the Cow and ‘Eat Mor Chikin’ at the New Chick-fil-A in El Segundo

Enrique Marquez and Valerie Palomo

Students can now “Eat Mor Chikin” at Chick-fil-A’s newest location in El Segundo, where they can hang out and enjoy their favorite meals. 

On January 30th, Chick-fil-A opened its new location at 740 N Pacific Coast Highway in El Segundo. It seats up to 118 people and includes an outdoor patio for customers to eat. Construction for this new location began April 2019, replacing the FedEx employee’s credit union and parking structure. 

“I’ve known about it since we started coming back from winter break and I was waiting for it to open,” said junior Jordyn Pruitt. “I don’t have a ride, but my friends do so when we can go all of us it’ll be fun.”

With every opening of a new location, Chick-fil-A has a ‘First 100’ event, where the first 100 people who abide by the official rules have the opportunity to win a Grand Prize of free Chick-fil-A for a year. 100 customers will be able to win 52 meals including a chicken sandwich, medium waffle fries, and a medium beverage. Different rules apply for different first 100 events. Some Chick-fil-A restaurants have their customers participate in a 12-Hour Campout, but other locations such as the new location in El Segundo have a Red Carpet Roll-out. 

The Red Carpet Rollout for the Chick-fil-A in El Segundo began on January 29th at 5 p.m., the day before the grand opening. The rules for the Red Carpet Roll-out included customers lining up outside of the new location and when the line had more than 100 people,  each customer was given a ticket with a unique number and a random drawing was held. Participants had to live within a certain zip code to be eligible to win the Grand Prize. The zip codes for the Chick-fil-A in El Segundo were: 90045, 90094, 90245, 90250, 90260, 90266, 90278, 90292, 90293, 90301, 90302, 90303, 90304, and 90305. 

Chick-fil-A is a fairly popular fast food restaurant, with more than 2,400 restaurants located in 47 states. Many students, including myself, have been looking forward to the opening of this new Chick-fil-a. 

“It’s super dope that it’s really close like that, and I know my family’s going to be going more just because it’s so close,” said junior Tiffany Brown. “And it seems like they’re getting a lot of business.”

When I went to Chick-fil-A the day after it opened, it surprisingly wasn’t that packed, so ordering and getting my food didn’t take very long. The food was pretty good, and it tasted the same as any other Chick-fil-A I had been to. 

However, there were issues with mine and my friend’s orders. They gave me pickles on my chicken sandwich when I asked for no pickles, and they didn’t give my friend the drink he asked for. Other students who have been to the new Chick-fil-A had a similar experience to mine.  

“In my experience, the fries were really salty,”  said freshman Jocelyn Morales. “And one of the managers was screaming at the employees that were just learning.”

Despite having issues with service, students who enjoy Chick-fil-A will have one in close proximity. The food is no different than any other Chick-fil-A restaurant, and it is still delicious.