Goodbye to the Best, Hello to the Next

Andrew Gomez

On February 5th over 45 candidates applied to possibly take over the spot of DVC’s former counselor, Diana Vallejo. 

As February approached, DVC  was in need of a new counselor due to Vallejo’s resignation. DVC posted the position online, and soon enough more than 40 applicants had sent in their resumes. 

Interviewees were narrowed to five people with D’Souza conducting  2 rounds of interviews. Later, had 2 meetings were held with potential counselors. Based on the  final five, D’Souza is looking for someone with the qualities of a collaborative team player and who fits “DVC Culture.” As for Daramola, he’s looking for a counselor who would be available for support willing to take the challenge of helping students emotionally and academically, not to mention be a good teammate for Barba. 

Most of DVC was surprised to hear that Vallejo, the  10th and 12th-grade counselor, decided to part ways with DVC for her dream job. Vallejo’s departure had an impact on students such as senior Benjamin Illescas. 

Illescas was a student that thought very fondly of Vallejo, saying that she was a person he could talk to and someone who went out of her way for the students.

“When I was doing my first apex, everything was unorganized and there were classes that I didn’t even have, but then Diana went in and took all the classes I didn’t have and also organized it for me. She recently helped me set up a plan to finish all my APEX by graduation,” said Illescas.

With  Vallejo leaving and the school looking for a new counselor, there are faculty members in place to take over the job temporarily for the class of 2020 and 2022.

Robert Allen, Chris Miller, D’Souza, Daraomola, and Jennifer Barba are all working together to manage Vallejo’s job. For Allen, this was nothing new as he was just doing more college writing than he was used to. 

While Allen and Miller are doing their part, D’Souza and Daramola are doing their part in trying to hire the new counselor. Barba is still doing her job but is also assisting with the 10th and 12th-graders.

Barba simply explained it as “Not having a second counselor is definitely different because you are responsible for the whole school now.”

To Vallejo students always came first.   

“She also provided a lot of resources when it came to me, being stressed out so she’d give students like coloring books to just color to distress or she just pull kids out of class that really needs to talk to her so I feel like the main two things that she prioritized were academics and mental health and just the well being of all her students,” said senior Vienna Perez. 

Vallejo leaving will take a huge toll on some students and even teachers. She had many impacts on DVC,  just being positive, caring, understanding, and overall passionate about her job.