Is Selling Chips During School Allowed?

Students buying chips during passing period

Valerie Palomo 

At DVC, selling items on campus such as chips, candy, or other snacks is becoming more common even though selling items during school hours is against school policy. 

For students, it is an easy way to make money to pay for certain expenses regarding school, clubs, or other aspects of their personal life. 

The exception, however, applies to clubs and organizations that are run by DVC students. Clubs and other school organizations that need to sell items for fundraising are allowed to sell on school campus as long as it’s not 30 minutes before school or the first 30 minutes after school.

Although DVC doesn’t have a set rule about the kind of discipline a student could get into if they were caught, there will be actions taken into place to prevent the situation from happening again. 

“We’re not necessarily looking, even to get students in trouble but just more having a conversation about what’s appropriate, not appropriate, and then having consequences follow up,” explained Assistant Principal Andrew Daramola. 

Many students have expressed that they don’t see the harm in selling items such as chips during school. Since students don’t have access to the vending machine during school hours they often buy chips or candy during the 10-minute passing period for a little snack in between or during classes.

“I think that’s just kind of unfair because we’re just trying to make money, you know, we have to buy our own things and then sometimes are unable to get a job,” said sophomore Sky Coleman, who is a frequent chip buyer. 

As for students who sell, the main reason for doing so is to make some extra money. The chips, candies and other snacks are typically sold for one dollar each item, which is also why so many students purchase them because they are cheap and easy access. 

“By the end of the day my bag would be almost completely empty and I would make about $100 a week. I think that’s pretty good money for selling chips, and I just wanted to make some extra cash,” said DVD junior Delaney Jiminez, who was a former seller of chips.

Although many students at DVC don’t see the problem with selling items at school, it continues to go against school policy and consequences remain a result.