College Student Right To Access

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Student Right To Access

In this May 21, 2019, file photo, people rally in support of abortion rights at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a measure, on Friday, Oct. 11, 2019, requiring public colleges and universities to offer abortion medication.

ABC News

ABC News

ABC News

Maya Lyou, Staff Writer

CALIFORNIA – California recently passed a law named the ‘College Student Right to Access Act” (Senate Bill 24). This law requires that by 2023, students will gain access to abortion medication at no cost in health centers at all public colleges and universities in California.

This will give students access to the Abortion Pill, a non-surgical abortion method. Abortion medication is most often found at health clinics, which the majority of the time are far distances from college campuses and not free of cost.

California’s governor, Gavin Newsom, wrote a statement comparing the restrictions on abortion to other state’s laws and regulations after signing to pass the law.

“As other states and the federal government go backward, restricting reproductive freedom, in California we are moving forward, expanding access and reaffirming a woman’s right [to] choose,” Newsom said. “We’re removing barriers to reproductive health – increasing access on college campuses and using technology to modernize how patients interact with providers,” (The Sacramento Bee). 

According to Fox News and CBS News, some others in executive positions (including California’s previous governor Jerry Brown) did not agree with the ideals of Newsom and attempted to stop the law from being passed. Other groups that oppose this new law are found to have religious and conservative backgrounds inside their organizations inside and outside of California’s public colleges. They’ve said the pill is unsafe and health centers are unable to work with emergencies that could potentially be caused by the pill.

Students in support of the law have expressed their belief that women should be given the option to abort without having to miss classes, travel far distances, or pay for the medication. Supporters believe abortion is part of women’s’ right to choose what they feel is right for their body and a choice all women should be given.

“You never really know what someone’s going through or what someone has been through [and] you never know if someone may have an abortion in the future, or has had one in the past,” sophomore Kieran Hagerty said.

Although this law does not currently directly apply to students at DVC, they still hold opinions on the subject and are aware of the law being passed.

Jordyn Pruitt, a junior, created an op-doc in support of abortions last school year. She expresses her view that this law being passed will be beneficial to many students because it will make it possible to get out of a dangerous or scary situation. 

“Not everyone can afford to have kids and although they have sex, they don’t want to have kids necessarily, which is perfectly fine,” Pruitt said. “It’s your choice to make but I think this law helps make back up plans for people who can’t afford abortions.”