Breast Cancer Awareness

Kimberly Perez, Staff Writer

October brings feelings of joy and festivity to DVC students with Halloween looming on the horizon, however, Breast Cancer Awareness is a campaign that lasts the entire month of October and brings attention to those who have been affected by Breast Cancer. 

The first day of October inspires many to wear pink outfits in support and solidarity of breast cancer survivors. Wearing a pink ribbon specifically represents people who have had or have breast cancer.

During this month, there’s been a subtle change in the community. There have been sightings of a pink strip displayed on police cars and a pink lifeguard tower in El Segundo. 

During the first day of October, the color pink was spotted across the DVC campus. Among those who wore pink was an 11th-grader, Christine Voge who shared her own thoughts about the importance of Breast Cancer this month.

“I wear pink throughout the month. I have pink paint, a pink headband… I go all out,” said Voge.  “Not a lot of people know that it’s breast cancer awareness, so I think just spreading the word about it is very important.”

While some use this month as an opportunity to spread awareness to the illness, others spend it grieving for those they’ve lost. The month brings back many memories and sadness to 11th- grader Latasha Loui who lost her mom at age seven, 

“I remember seeing her the day before she passed away,” said Louis. “It was a lot to take in at a young age, and it was a lot to think about. Because it was like… I’m literally looking at my mom, dying.”

According to “U.S. Breast Cancer Statistics” on breastcancer.org, published on February 13th, there are as many as 3.1 million cases of women involved in the treatment of Breast Cancer. What is more, there are an estimated 200,000 cases expected this year. 

More commonly found in women than men, Breast Cancer is found in a person’s breasts or on their side beneath the arm. There are signs and symptoms to help identify this cancer as well as treatments to help cure it. Even so, not all treatments work for this illness, and so, it is important to catch the signs at an early stage. 

As stated in ‘Symptoms and Diagnosis” on breastcancer.org  the “unusual changes” on breasts are signs to watch out for. These symptoms include swelling, irritation, lumps, redness, discharge, and pain. Some changes can be mistaken for less serious cases but in order to be sure, it should be checked out by a doctor.

Even without being diagnosed with breast cancer there should still be awareness brought to its risks and damages in a relationship. Without knowing, there may be surrounding members of the community with a loved one in harm’s way, whether it is by cancer or not. 

“The biggest support we can give to them is being there for them. If you know that they’re going through it, or that their family is going through it, just being there is the most you can do,” said Voge.

As for those like Louis, who have a permanent loss of a family member, she  just has one thing to say:

“Love your family.”

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/risk

https://www.breastcancer.org/risk