Tik Tok, Tik Tok, Is Time Running for Tik Tok Creators?

Adali Trujillo, Staff Writer

TikTok is a social media app that was released in September of 2016 to help people create different kinds of entertaining videos. Plenty of middle and high school students use the app for entertainment in their spare time.  

Just like any other social media platform, TikTok allows anyone to post videos that they create. Some teens use it for creative expressions that will inspire others. It is mainly used for fun and to post entertaining videos. 

Other teens use the app negatively and post videos that most people find “offensive”. Videos not only offensive to some teens but adults as well. 

An article written in The Cut titled “The Teens Are All Right”, told the story of Gillian Sullivan, a 16-year-old female that made a video on how unfair her school district is because the teachers do so much of what they can outside of school to get a raise, yet fail to receive one because the district will not allow it. “They’ve been lying to teachers and freezing their salary for over thirteen years,” said Gillian. 

Many thought that the video of venting about school was going to only be seen by her followers. Several other people started to repost her video. It got 36,000 reposts on TikTok and about 47,000 reposts on Twitter. 

In a separate interview, Sullivan stated: “There’s a lot of kids who go viral and get popular on TikTok for things that aren’t positive.”

Students at DVC believe that negative content on Tik Tok does get a large amount of attention. Regardless of what is being filmed, some Tik Tokers are usually guaranteed views. 

“I would say that is probably true because I’ve seen videos of people doing things that are definitely not something you should be doing or posting about and they still get a lot of likes because many people like videos mindlessly,” said junior Logan Evans. 

Many different students have their perspectives on the situation. Some feel as though the content that is posted will leave a negative impact on viewers. 

“I don’t think that’s really good because… it’s going to stay with you no matter what,” said freshman Dylan Guillory, who is one of the multiple students at DVC that use the app. 

On the other hand, Guillory was introduced to TikTok by her friends and started to use it regularly afterward. 

“People that support you such as fans and the compliments they give you make you want to do more,” said Guillory. 

Students who are active on TikTok also think the app isn’t for younger children as the content that is posted can be considered too mature or unacceptable for children to see. 

Junior Francis Jimenez, another TikToker at DVC, doesn’t think the app is appropriate for children. 

“People younger than 14 shouldn’t because there’s so much inappropriate stuff on there that can mess up kids’ thinking if they are constantly looking at inappropriate stuff,” said Jimenez.  

In other words, students believe there are certain types of TikTok videos that people need to think twice about before filming and posting. 

“A lot of people just use it to get famous and post negativity instead of putting some time and effort into a video to make an original creative video,” said Jimenez