Why are students so tardy?

Assistant Principal, Andrew Daramola, writing late slips for students.

Matthew Garcia, Staff Writer

Students arriving tardy to school at DVC is becoming more common, meanwhile, students and staff have different perspectives as to what the main source of this issue is. 

Since the start of the 2019-2020 school year, many students at DVC are seen coming in tardy in the morning to first period. The number of kids that need a late slip has been considered to be out of control by many staff members. Once students finally arrive at school they head to the front office where, Office Manager, Jackie Martinez, hands out a  slip to take to class. 

There are various reasons as to why tardiness is occurring so often. Many students have expressed that they are just not motivated to come to school and learn, while some students feel as though they just need to give themselves enough time to get to school ready and be prepared. 

Line of Students at the front office waiting to get a late slip to go to class.

According to Martinez when asked about why students are always tardy, she said, “I think the main reason is because families and students need to give themselves more time in the morning.” 

At times, a student isn’t always at fault for such late arrival. Students across all grade levels have communicated that factors such as a sibling or parental issue usually come into play. The National Education for Statistics indicates that student tardiness occurs at a rate of 3.3% to 9.5% each day for all students in kindergarten through grade twelve. 

“In my experience, teachers usually see fault in the student. Sometimes the student has no control over the situation, but teachers will still judge them for coming in late,” explained junior Amalia Perez.

Teachers expect students to be ready in the morning as soon as the clock hits 8:40 a.m. and many students who miss this mark are often looked at as unprofessional to multiple teachers. When a student is late to class it can not only leave a bad impression on a teacher, but it can take away from other students’ learning time. 

“It just shifts everything and the attention is on you so it distracts what’s already happening. You also are walking in late and you have to adjust and take your things out,” said Martinez about how being tardy affects those around you.

Students and teachers have both expressed that the time lost from students coming in late could be used to work and do things efficiently.  Although, for some students, it is a case of not getting enough sleep due to a lot of work and extracurriculars that take up the time at home.