Women Empowerment Society Club

Club Leaders from left to right (Isabel Umekubo, Bianca Sanchez, Kaitlyn McCalebb, Cierra Pringle)

Ashley Quic

Kailey Torres and Ashley Quic

Four junior girls took it upon themselves to create a safe space for all genders to discuss any local and global issues women are facing today in their society.

This club provides a social and academic outlet for anyone and everyone. The environment allows them to not be afraid to speak their minds and discuss controversial topics. It is a safe place to converse with other students about any issues they may be experiencing, witnessing, or hearing about through the media.

“It’s a good area to discuss equality with both genders. And I think it’s important to have something like that at a school so you can hear different points of view on things,” said Marissa Markey, an 11th-grade attendee.

Women’s Rights has been a well-known discussion topic in the 11th-grade community across all students. Kaitlyn McCalebb hopes to use her platform of the club to find new ways of allowing students to feel more comfortable talking about certain topics in their school environment.   

“I wanted to bring up this discussion in my club about harassment and sexual assault at school and do they feel comfortable coming to DVC stuff about you know, these subjects,” stated McCalebb. “If the majority [says] no… me and my other club leaders are going to talk to Daramola or Erin about how we can make the school a more comfortable place for women to come and talk about these subjects.”  

According to Google, Women’s rights means “rights that promote a position of legal and social equality of women with men.” Students provided their definition of what women’s rights meant to them.

“Women’s’ rights means to me to the ability to give women the same opportunities and equal rights as anyone,” stated by Romario Linares, a

Attendees raising their hands to share their opinion on, “The term ‘hoe’ should only be used towards females.”
(Photo Credit: Ashley Quic / VP)

junior attendee.

The club is in its first steps and with great effort, these young ladies are trying to make the meetings as interactive as possible in order to spark greater conversations with everyone. 

“These girls are preparing lessons, preparing games, preparing videos, preparing so much that is going to bring conversations that need to be spoken in a school setting, when you go to college, in a work setting, things that you can advocate as a women, things that men can advocate for women, [and] vice versa it’s fantastic,” said academic coach and club advisor Stacey España.

It can be great to have a place to go and talk about any problems arising in dealing with gender roles, unequal pay, and more within a school setting led by Da Vinci students. This opportunity can be used to either spread awareness to others or to build something beyond the school and take action in making a difference.