The Global Youth Climate Strike: Protesting to Save Our Planet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Andriacchi (DVC left) and Danielle Jauregui (DVD right) hold up signs at the strike.

Julia Jauregui

Julia Jauregui

Julia Jauregui

Maya Lyou, Staff Writer

Millions of youth around the world gathered on the streets on Friday, protesting climate change, and demanding for the government to do something, and to do it fast.

Students skipped school to protest for a better future; to protest for a future. Students used this strike to use their voices and to make sure the government heard their voices.

Three Da Vinci students attended the strike as a part of Da Vinci’s Student Task Force (a Human Rights Watch school club). Rachel Andriacchi (DVC senior & DV STF co-president), Danielle Jauregui (DVD senior & DV STF co-president), and Julia Jauregui (DVD junior & DV STF secretary) went to the strike in hopes to get noticed, whether that meant another protester commenting on their posters or making an appearance on any social media covering the strike.

Attending strikes and marches have become important to the youth because many of these issues are ignored. Protestors use these strikes and marches as a chance to address major problems in our society and government. No government action has been taken on the climate crisis even though the issue threatens ocean and temperature rises to occur. 

“Now, more than ever, we are seeing the effects climate change has on the world. If change isn’t made soon, it will be impossible for change to be made,” Andriacchi said. 

The strike was inspired by Greta Thunberg, a world-famous teen climate activist who began weekly protests last year to demand action from the government.

“Greta Thunberg has influenced me in many ways: seeing her speak so passionately about the change we need to do, about the threat we face from climate change, and since then I can’t just sit down and do nothing about what is going on in the world. I have to try and do as much as I can now before it’s too late,” Jauregui said.

Greta Thunberg attended the U.N. (United Nations) Climate Summit on Monday and presented an impactful speech about the refusal of action from the government and what the future will look like if nothing is done. 

“This strike, in specific, was for the youth to take action so I saw that it was my direct responsibility to be there and show our lawmakers that our generation has a cause worth fighting for and that we won’t back down without a fight,” Jauregui said, expressing the significance of the power of the youth.

Another strike will take place this Friday to continue pushing for action. Students at DVD plan to hold an on-campus strike during lunch to join the cause.