Gun Control Takes a Toll on High Schoolers Across the Nation

Matthew Garcia and Xochitl Quinonez

Students are affected by gun control across the U.S due to the frequent amount of mass shootings that occur in schools where hundreds of innocent students are killed. 

Gun control is often viewed as a very important and controversial topic as people are impacted by it every day.  

“Gun violence is not tolerable in society and in terms of school it is a tragedy to even consider it,” said  11th-grade U.S. History teacher Steven Covelman. 

According to everytownreasearch.org, there have been 69 incidents of gunfire on school grounds in 2019. Across the state, there are multiple reports of injuries and deaths from gun violence, especially on the East and Southside.

Records from Brady United, a center that advocates against gun violence, show that 310 people are shot every day and out of that number, 100 Americans are killed. 113,108 people are shot every year, and among those 36,383 died. Brady United also states that ninety percent of the guns used in crimes come from five percent of gun dealers. According to National Public Radio, The United States has a higher national rate of gun violence than in most low-income countries. 

The question remains, how can young children or teens have the mindset to pick up a gun, take it to school and shoot other students? Reasons for this vary and often stem from experiences like bullying, jealousy, ending relationships with significant others, or mental disabilities. 

“We need stricter gun laws, getting a gun should not be as easy as it is today. I would go as far to even say that guns should be banned,” said junior Kaitlyn McCalebb when asked about gun laws in America today. 

In 2017, 15-year-old Caleb Sharpe pulled out an AR-15 rifle and a handgun, walked through the halls of Freeman High School and open fired, hitting Emma Nees, Jordyn Goldsmith, and Gracie Jensen (who were left injured). Sophomore Sam Strahan was then shot in the head after trying to stop Sharpe. In this case, Sharpe was bullied, however, he didn’t specifically target each of the victims, it was just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“It’s disheartening knowing that…once I get dropped off at school something may or may not happen, it’s a lingering thing in my head,” 

said senior Ethan Barragán.There are certain measures that can be taken to slow down the possibility of these incidents from happening, but there is no certainty in preventing gun violence.  Many people are affected by these gun control laws and many innocent lives are taken because of the issue.

“In terms of gun violence, when I was in high school it was a topic of conversation, there were school shootings that were occurring…while it wasn’t at the level it is today…it impacts us and society,” said Assistant Principal Andrew Daramola.