Reconstruction of Rules for the New School Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Xochitl Marin, Staff Writer

The start of a new school year came with many changes such as new freshmen faces, new administration, new staff members, and most notably new policies. 

A widely discussed rule that was established this year is known as “The Starbucks Rule”. The rule, first mentioned in advisory, stated that if you came to school late with Starbucks or any drink from outside in hand, it would be confiscated at the front desk until lunchtime.

“You’re walking in late and you have a drink in hand. It’s giving off the idea that getting the drink was more important than coming in on time,” said Assistant Principal Daramola. “If you’re already late, you might as well finish your drink during that time so you won’t be disrespectful.”

He hopes that this new implemented rule will reduce the number of tardies throughout the year.

Although the Starbucks rule was created with positive intentions, students aren’t happy about it. Junior Nicholas Guereca isn’t a fan of the rule. 

“It’s stupid because they’re taking away something I spent my own money on,” said Guereca.

Not only did the first day help set a standard for this new rule, but an old rule, the dress code, seemed to be greatly enforced as well. The heavy enforcement led to many controversial opinions on the subject from both teachers and students.

“I think the school’s dress code rules are great! We really allow kids to be individuals and be able to show their own style,” said Academic Coach Stacey España.“We don’t really limit it when it comes to expressing your individuality.”

Generally speaking, most teachers believed that our school’s dress code rules are set to create a youthful and professional environment.

We have to dress professionally because this is a place of learning,” said new 11th grade English Teacher Ashley Hapner. “As teachers, we have to come a little bit professional. So we expect the same of our students, because we see you guys as colleagues, and not so much as people who are beneath us.”

On the other hand, teachers don’t necessarily believe the school’s dress code is fair.

Ninth grade English Teacher Regina Flores believes that when it comes to a dress code, it’s easier to target girls. “It’s gender-biased because of fashion.. because guys don’t walk around with their midriff showing.”

While the dress code rules seem regularly applied to girls, there are thoughts on how it could be changed by teachers and students alike. 

Junior Brandon Moreno is a male student that believes the dress code rules should lay off of the biased and sexist approaches when enforcing dress code. 

“You also can’t be over abusing or just targeting people for only showing a little bit of skin,” said Moreno.

Ninth grade Math and Computer Science teacher Kristina Becht is also vocal about her opinions on changes that should be made to our school’s dress code and motivates the students to take actions into their own hands.

“I’d be interested in helping to do a [meeting] to invite the principals to come and listen and talk about concerns or about the dress code, to try to make it something that feels fairer.”