Behind Journalism Camp

Espinoza is reading over a camper’s article while other campers are working on completing their article. (Alexandra/Vitruvian Post)

Alexandra, Camp Writer

Da Vinci Communications had a journalism summer camp for middle schoolers this week, which was run by students that are a part of the school’s newspaper, The Vitruvian Post.

“I hope that this camp inspires our youth to appreciate journalism and possibly be responsible journalists one day,” said Sarah Horne, the journalism pathway advisor.

Espinoza is reading over a camper’s article while other campers are working on their articles and laughing because of how much fun they are having. (Alexandra/Vitruvian Post)

The Vitruvian Post made a huge accomplishment this past school year. They began publishing their newspaper daily which is a big jump from once every three weeks, as it was in the past. Horne wants students to take advantage of their platform and address important issues.

Reyes and Horne are discussing plans for the Vitruvian Post in the fall. (Alexandra/Vitruvian Post)

“I am excited to see my students write articles about issues that are not often talked about,” Horne said. “There’s so much important news out there that journalists are not covering, so I want to see them (the students) covering that.”

The Vitruvian Post is really trying to get the full story. They are pushing the limits of journalism by getting both sides of the story, so the readers are getting impartial news, regardless of the writer’s beliefs.

“As a journalist it is really important, that you want to cover things that are going on in the area even if it’s not positive,” said Hailey Reyes, the Vitruvian Post Editor-in-Chief.

Reyes is explaining to two campers how to make their article better. (Alexandra/Vitruvian Post)

The minds behind the Vitruvian Post understand the power of journalism and know that journalism is critical to a democracy.

“Even though our current government is criticizing the media, there are still a lot of good journalists out there who are working hard to do their job and it’s crucial to a democracy to have journalism,” Horne said.

Although, they believe in journalism, those involved in the Vitruvian Post know journalism still has a long way to go.

“I would like to see journalism really fact check and do more investigative reporting,” Horne said.

She and the others in charge of the journalism camp feel that these campers could be the next face of journalism and could help to repeal the negative connotation that the media currently has.

“ I wish there would have been a camp like this for when I was your guys’ age,” Geo Espinoza, journalism camp counselor and Managing Editor of the Vitruvian Post, said.