Diversity at DVC

Hasan Daniels and Jordan Foster

It is very important that in a school setting, a place where one receives an education, there is a diverse background of students, teachers, staff, and faculty workers.

DVC is host to many different ethnic groups. There is a large abundance of Hispanic/and or Latino, African American, Asian, Caucasian, Middle Eastern, and Pacific Islander students. This gives students the opportunity to explore the world through their peers.

“I think one of the best things about going to a diverse school is getting to know everybody,” said freshman Jahari Crawford. “There are many people from different types of backgrounds and ethnicities so it always interesting to meet somebody new and get to know some of their different cultures.”

In order for students to feel comfortable and welcomed in a school environment, the first step is to surround themselves with a diverse group of individuals. A school with students from different backgrounds and ethnicities, instead of a school dominated by one race, can make a student more likely to feel accepted and/or welcome within the school community.

“I think I would feel uncomfortable in a school that isn’t diverse,” said junior Melodee Alvarado. “I’ve grown so accustomed to attending schools with people from different backgrounds it would feel weird in a way to attend a school with one ethnic group dominating the student population.”

In a school where there are a variety of cultures, students have a chance to explore the lifestyle and different cultural practices of others. This is a unique way for others to learn something that is not specifically taught in the classroom.

“Attending a diverse school like DVC has opened my eyes so much,” mentioned senior Destiny Ceja. “Being able to attend a school that is so diverse has allowed me many opportunities to learn more about different cultures outside of mine.”

Classrooms within the United States are becoming more diverse as the years go on. According to the Education Writers Association, “The U.S. population is becoming more diverse than ever. In the fall of 2014, the country reached a demographic milestone: For the first time, black, Hispanic, Asian and Native American children made up the majority of  approximately 50 million students in the nation’s public schools.”

Diversity in schools will help prepare students for real-world experiences. Some of these real-world experiences might include working in a field that consists of manual labor, being apart of a business team within a company, or even amongst faculty members within a school environment. In the real world, you will encounter people from all backgrounds so it is important that school systems prepare students for what that realistic experience is going to be like.

“In my opinion, it is very important that all schools are diverse,” said junior Ethan Barragan. “When you become an adult and begin to interact with other adults you are going to realize that they all may not look like you or share the same cultures as you. Schools should all be diverse so that way it won’t be such a culture shock for people when they enter the real world.”