DVC’s First Day of Service

Hailey Reyes and Sarah Carrillo

https://www.scribblemaps.com/api/maps/images/450/450/6g1LLJrStJ.png

March 29th marked DVC’s first day of service where advisories united together to help the community in various locations such as Santa Monica, Dockweiler Beach, Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy, and the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank.

This day of service served as a time for students at DVC to get out of a classroom and see how impactful and simple it was to do something for the community.

“I really think it helped me realize how service does impact our community, like how it can really be a positive change and how I can better help with that change,” mentioned sophomore Casey Hartley.

Although many students saw how much of a change this day could potentially have on the community around them, some students were a bit skeptical about attending.

“I heard some students weren’t attending,” said junior Kassidy Sandoval. “Some stayed at home and others I believe came to school and did work for the day.”

The day was different, however, for all students who chose to attend. Some students picked up trash at the beach, while others pulled plants that were overpopulating a specific part of land, and others sorted and re-packaged food.

“My advisory went to Palos Verdes and we basically pulled plants out of the ground that were somewhat dangerous to the environment,” continued Sandoval. “I had never done anything like that before so it felt really good to get out there and experience something new.”

Not only did it feel good to some students to give back for the day, but the uniting of advisories was also something that students found to be something that they enjoyed.

“I would say the best part was just being out there with everybody and like doing a great act with others, and it was kind of a whole community feeling,” explained Hartley.

The enjoyment of the students was also apparent to the teachers who chaperoned service day and worked alongside their advisories.

“I think that the students gained more perspective on how important service is,” said 11th grade biology teacher Tyler Mar. “They gained kind of an appreciation for doing work for others, and how that’s not only helpful for themselves, but that it can make a big difference when we all come together, which is a lot different than doing it by yourself.”

Mar also mentions that should DVC participate in another day of service, it would be really interesting to have the students indulge in something that wasn’t done this time around, like planting trees.

“I’d like to see us kind of stay committed to like the same place to kind of have like a legacy project. Like planting trees, I think is a really powerful experience because its hands on,” Mar continued. “If we can kind of pick a project and as a school get committed to that every year, I think we can build upon that and see what that looks like in 10 years. It would be very powerful.”

1 Comment

One Response to “DVC’s First Day of Service”

1. Dr. W. on April 11th, 2019 3:00 pm

What a great day for those of us who attended, thank you for writing a thoughtful article Hailey and Sarah. Must admit that I was pretty bummed out that some students and parents felt like it was ok to stay home just because they had “done” their service hours for the semester! That is missing the whole point of why we serve others – trust me, I was “done” with my service hours decades ago, and I don’t get any points, or rewards for continuing to do service hours other than the reward of knowing that I am doing something good, giving back to my community, and learning and growing as a human. That is more important than getting credit in advisory! 🙂

• DVC’s First Day of Service

The Seniors’ Final Exhibition Hurrah

• DVC’s First Day of Service

Nikkei: The Sadao Munemori Project

• DVC’s First Day of Service

The Last Bookstore—A Bookworm’s Daydream

• DVC’s First Day of Service

The Impact of Growing Up in a Single-Parent Household

• DVC’s First Day of Service

Driving As A Youth: Pros And Cons Of Student Driving

• DVC’s First Day of Service

Academic Coaches Undercover

• DVC’s First Day of Service

El Viaje (The Journey)

• DVC’s First Day of Service

What The Case Of 21 Savage Reveals About Immigration In America

• DVC’s First Day of Service

Roma, A Triumph At The Oscars

• DVC’s First Day of Service

Shining the Light on BSU