Teachers Start Selling Chips to Afford Rent

Samin Champion and Sophia Szekely

Buying Hot Cheetos from your biology teacher may seem like a sketchy thing to do, but in recent times it could help them pay their bills.

In wake of the recent teacher strike and DVC teachers’ inability to pay for basic necessities; things like the electric, water, and cable bills, DVC teachers have resorted to selling snacks during school hours.

“It’s no secret that teachers all over the country are underpaid,” said DVC’s 11th grade English and Journalism teacher Sarah Horne. “I normally tutor in my spare time after school, but why go through all that trouble when I can just sell chips at school.”

While the cause is admirable, teachers have been found going to extremes to make use of this new “make cash quick scheme.”

“It works out even better for us when we catch students selling chips,” said DVC’s Government and Economics teacher Robert Allen. “Instead of going out and buying my own chips to sell, I can just sell the ones I confiscate- and for a higher price at that since I’ve created a monopoly on it.”

The teachers who sell chips often confiscate student snacks and then after, when there’s no one else selling that day, will sell the same product to their colleagues for $2 and up.

“I just think it’s so hypocritical that like they get to sell chips and we don’t,” said senior Katherine Rivas with an annoyed tone. “It’s hard to be mad at them though because they can’t afford basic living necessities.”

Even with the numerous benefits given to teachers who deploy this new system, it has proven to cause strife and ill-feelings between some.

“Just when I thought I had finally found another sustainable source of income, Rob started selling chips for even less than me!” stated Horne angstily, “Even though we’re colleagues, when all is said and done when it comes to selling, he’s nothing but competition.¨

In situations like this, administration would normally end disputes on all side regarding this issue, but in wake of recent events, they’ve made the executive decisions to leave things as is.

“Normally I would’ve stopped this situation as soon as it started,” stated Scott Weatherford, DVC’s Principal. “But I understand economics and I know that this competition is in everyone’s best interest. As long as we can get our chips for cheap I’m happy.”

About the Writers
Samin Champion, Managing Editor

Samin is a senior at DVC and the Managing Editor for the Vitruvian Post. Samin enjoys reading comics, Watching movies, listening to music, working out...

Sophia Szekely, Staff Writer

Sophia is a Senior at DVC. She helps lead the Pink and Lavender club and is passionate about animals, poetry, and music. Writing for the Vitruvian Post...

1 Comment

One Response to “Teachers Start Selling Chips to Afford Rent”

1. Zoraiz Hashmi on April 1st, 2019 10:47 am

The Onion would love to read this

• Teachers Start Selling Chips to Afford Rent

April Fools

DVC Gone Mad?

April Fools

South Wales To South LA

April Fools

The End Of Phones At DVC

April Fools

Teachers Say Sayonara To POLs

• April Fools

Vegans Gone Wild

DVC News

Vitruvian Bots Victories

• DVC News

Spreading the word on climate change

DVC News

Girls in Coding

DVC News

A Day In The Life Of A Freshman At DVC During Exhibition

DVC News

Informed or Bored?