Driving As A Youth: Pros And Cons Of Student Driving

James Skinner/800loanmart.com

James Skinner, Web Editor

Student Driving has been a reality for decades and it comes with positives and negatives, students get a chance to gain driving experience while
facing the dangers of the road.

In California, students generally start getting their permits by the age of 15 after receiving drivers education. After 6 months of driving experience with their permits students are allowed to take the driving test to determine whether or not they can drive on their own. After that, students are allowed to drive on their own or with a sibling until they lose their provisional drivers license.

Students generally have their individual opinions about driving. Many student drivers at Da Vinci Communications each drive from different locations, providing different perspectives on driving at DVC.

“I feel like you should have more experience with driving because driving is about experience and taking precautions and stuff like that,” senior Caitlyn Valiente discussed.

Driving provides students with many benefits that they wouldn’t necessarily have as a passenger. Actually being able to drive provides you with an independent experience.

Tekeste Tekeste, a senior discussed that what he enjoys about driving the most is the freedom that he is given to go wherever he wants and not having to depend on someone else to help get him around.

While driving, it is important to stay safe and be aware of one’s surroundings. If not, the potential risk for an accident raises. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, from 2005-14 teen collisions rates decline to 56% for younger teen drivers and 44% for older teen drivers.

“I’m a pretty safe driver, I’m cautious, I’m aware of my surroundings, that’s a big thing a lot of people aren’t and that’s what I feel like leads to accidents a lot,” Tekeste added.

Parents have different rules when it comes to having their child drive around town on their own, many want to do what they feel is the best for their child’s safety while on the road.

Valiente said that after she got her license, her mom said she wanted her to gain a lot of experience before letting friends commute with her on the road.

As a student driver, responsibility on and off the road plays a key part in how you drive. Teens that take risks with drinking and other bad habits are more likely to get in a fatal accident than a teen that doesn’t.

Teens that have died with a Blood Alcohol content of 0.08 percent or higher were all over 17 percent with teens aged 17 through 20 with 15 and 15-year-olds at 8 percent according to (GHSA).

Student driving provides students with a chance to continue to mature into their adult lives with its fair share of responsibilities that teen drivers have to consider when on the road.

About the Writer
James Skinner, Web Editor

James Skinner is a senior at Da Vinci Communications and is one of the Web-Editors of The Vitruvian Post. He spends most of his free time watching sports...