Roma, A Triumph At The Oscars

Cleo (left) looks at her surroundings with the family she looks after, in film Roma. 
Lesley Rodriguez/ town and country magazine

Cleo (left) looks at her surroundings with the family she looks after, in film Roma. Lesley Rodriguez/ town and country magazine

Lesley Rodriguez, Photo And Video Editor

With its captivating black and white color and representation of indigenous culture, Roma was a big competitor at this years Oscars. Most notably competing with popular films like Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born.

This foreign film took the hearts of many film lovers this year, director Alfonso Cuarón directed this movie as a love letter to his housekeeper he had as a young child. The film follows an indigenous housekeeper, Cleo, and her struggles that she has to overcome with her personal life as well as the family she takes care of.

The film attracts people with its cinematography and how the story unravels, bringing light to the struggles that domestic workers face, internationally and in the states.

Roma was nominated for 10 Oscars in this year’s award show, the most anticipated among fans was for Best Picture. With all the nominated awards, Roma brought home three awards, for Best Director, Best Foreign Film and Best Cinematography.

“They’re actually giving a platform to people who are normally, hidden, I think is really cool,” stated senior, Trina Umana. “You see the world from an actual resident and we get to see native perspective.”

The winner of this years Oscars for Best Picture was Green Book, while many critics and filmgoers had mixed feelings on this winner it was quickly overshadowed by the amount of diversity that was able to be represented throughout the film industry.

“I think it’s important to have representation behind the camera and in front of the film,” Film Analysis teacher, Adam Watson said. “Movies as a whole shape the popular culture so it’s important that everybody is apart of shaping that culture.”
Yalitza Aparicio, who plays Cleo in the film never aspired to become an actress this was her first role and she never intended to audition in the first place. Cuarón gave her a platform to display her culture and language that isn’t usually represented in western media.

With her natural performance in the film, she has become the first indigenous women to be nominated for Best Actress.

¨Yalitza had an unbelievable performance, it was shocking to hear that it was her first ever acting gig,¨ Stacey Espinoza said. ¨Her being the first indigenous women to be nominated at the Oscars shows there progression in the film industry but there is still room for growth.¨

Ever so often films like Roma have brought attention to struggles that people face in which the media usually doesn’t show. In the future, some hope to see films that promote different cultures around the world in the film industry.