Effects of the Government Shutdown

Here is the capital building with ominous clouds in the sky, where Congress meets to discuss issues regarding the government shutdown. Photo by: Flickr

Kaiya Alsobrook, Staff Writer

With the government being shut down for the third time since Donald Trump has been elected into office, it has been classified as the longest government shutdown in United States history with another shutdown possibly on the way.

The government was partially shut down for 35 days starting on December 22, 2018, and ended on January 25th, 2019. The reason, Democrats and Republicans were unable to agree on border security, particularly the wall. The wall would be built along the southern U.S and Mexico border which is approximately 1,954 miles long. It will cost about 5.7 billion dollars to build the wall according to President Trump.

“I’m sure there was a better solution than just shutting down the government because of that now hundreds and thousands of families all over the United States kind of suffered because of one shutdown,” said Efrain Gutierrez, a senior whose family was affected by the government shutdown.

According to “Government shutdown project to cost American economy $3 billion” published Jan.28 in The Washington Post, the government shutdown affects about “800,000 people around the U.S. Some workers received I.O.U’s so when the government reopened they received their paychecks.”

Out of the 800,000 people that are affected by the shutdown, about 380,000 were furloughed, a process in which an employee does not report to work and also does not earn a wage.

“It affected my sister, she had a lot of downtime because she is in the army. They didn’t really give her a job to do. She just sat in her quarters,” said sophomore Tristen Cuellar.

Although the shutdown affected a number of government workers and their paychecks, it also affected students at DVC who’ve had to adjust to changes in their personal lives due to the 35 day shutdown.

“We had to depend on my mom’s paychecks. Thankfully she has a nice steady job so we were able to benefit off that. It was kinda hard, we weren’t able to do the things we always normally do. We had to cut down on some things but now it’s fine,” added Gutierrez

The partial shutdown cost the U.S economy is over 11 billion dollars, which is a little over double the amount that Trump is seeking for the Wall.

“They are trying to make Mexico pay for it. I don’t feel like that’s right at all. Mexico paying for it is absurd, even building the wall is absurd,” added Cuellar.

With the political climate in the country, the disagreements present within Congress can be seen as a representation of different viewpoints of the citizens of our country.

“We need people that are neutral and that can talk for both sides because clearly, the people that are talking don’t want to listen,” said Teyah Robinson, a member of Youth and Government.

About the Writer
Kaiya Alsobrook, Staff Writer

Kaiya is a Junior here at DVC. When Kaiya isn’t busy with school she likes to play soccer or play with her dog Zoe. One quote that describes her is...

2 Responses to “Effects of the Government Shutdown”

1. Francisco Landaverde on February 22nd, 2019 10:34 am

Glad to know people are holding the government reliable as well people hearing about what things are being done, even though som much money is wasted in the wrong cause.

2. Raya on February 26th, 2019 9:07 am

Kaiya great job on this article! The descriptiveness and text shows how hard you have worked on this article.

• DVC News

Career Day

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

Vitruvian Bots Victories

• DVC News

Spreading the word on climate change

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

Girls in Coding

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

A Freshman’s Experience at DVC Exhibition

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

Informed or Bored?

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

DVC Rock Band Performs Queen at Exhibition

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

Welcome Super Bloom and Hello Painted Ladies

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

CSS Escape Room

• Effects of the Government Shutdown

DVC News

A Walk for a Cure