Marching for a Difference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching for a Difference

People coming together in Downtown to march and use their voices. 
Photo taken by: Sandy Garcia

People coming together in Downtown to march and use their voices. Photo taken by: Sandy Garcia

Lesley Rodriguez, Photo and Video Editor

The day after President Trump’s Inauguration in 2017, people all over the world gathered in the streets of their cities to participate in the annual Women’s March, which ended being the biggest turnout the march has ever received.

Since Trump’s presidency, there have been planned marches all across different cities in the United States. The attendance of these marches resulted in around 4 million people, which are 1.6% of the U.S population, according to Crowd Counting Consortium.

The marches continue to grow every year with people being more aware of problems they can march for and speak out on.

“I was walking amongst survivors; not only of sexual assault or sexual harassment but of how the world tends to treat women in general,” said Sandy Garcia, a seventeen-year-old who went to the march.

On the protest’s third anniversary, it had become more prominent that there was controversy with the co-president of the Women’s March, Tamika Mallory. Mallory faced backlash when she posted a picture with Louis Farrakhan, who is known to practice anti-semitism.

The association of anti-semitism has provoked many companies to disassociate with the Women’s March. Institutions like the Democratic National Committee and National Organization for Women have both stepped back from being linked with the hate that Mallory had promoted.

The Women’s March later released a press statement regarding the criticism that they had received.

“Every member of our movement matters to us — including our incredible Jewish and LGBTQ
members. We are deeply sorry for the harm we have caused, but we see you, we love you, and
we are fighting with you,” stated organizer Linda Sarsour.

While many decided not to participate in the march, there were also many that were unaware of the situation. Still, a huge amount of people went out to march for what they believed in.

“There was still big crowds of people marching, they were all supporting their communities and supporting each other’s struggles,” exclaimed Pasion Fitch, a fellow participant of the march. “It was heartwarming to see many individuals coming together with all this hate in the world,” Fitch happily said.

The march has been a place where people are able to express their opinions and surround themselves with others of the same beliefs. While there might have been controversy this year, it didn’t stop people from uniting together.

“People were crammed up like sardines there was so many powerful people starting chants to show that everyone has a voice, together everyone can make an impact,” Reese Gonzalez, a student at Da Vinci Communications stated.

The Women’s March has barely begun and it already has a large following that allows people to make change within their own communities by using their voices to speak up.

“It takes voices, it takes people, it takes power to make change,” Garcia stated.