Pennies For Patients

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pennies For Patients

Student donating money to Pennies for Patients box. 
Vanessa Hernandez/ Vitruvian Post

Student donating money to Pennies for Patients box. Vanessa Hernandez/ Vitruvian Post

James Skinner, Web Editor

Da Vinci Communications has once again taken part in its annual tradition in support of Pennies for Patients.

Pennies for Patients is an event used to help collect money for children that have obtained both Leukemia and Lymphoma blood cancers. Various schools and organizations participate in order to help families pay for the finances that come with beating these cancers.

There are many different types of leukemia, all of which give patients at least a 50 percent chance of survival under the usual circumstances, according to the American Cancer Society website. Although there is a fair chance of surviving, the cost to diagnose and treat leukemia could result in the patient’s family paying thousands of dollars.

Cameron Rudan, a senior, said that if more schools participate there is potential to help raise not only awareness but money for these patients.

According to Leadership Adviser Donald Puathasnanon, Leadership has considered giving a potential award to the advisory that raises the most money. He stated that this not only motivates students to participate but it will ultimately lead to more money being collected for cancer fighters.

¨I think it would be really helpful to talk to them [students] about what people with lymphoma and leukemia are going through and what their experience is like,” said Tyler Mar, 11th grade Biology teacher. “And then also connecting with them to see how many of them know somebody who has cancer.”

He said that when it’s personal, people are more likely to connect with it and ultimately give and donate to help try to find a cure.

Donations for Pennies for Patients will help scientists solve and better understand how cancers work in order to create potential cures.

According to Elizabeth Mendes in “Expert Predictions: Cancer Care 10 Years From Now¨ on the American Cancer Society website, “Cancer research and its impact on patient care has made some significant strides in just the last 10 years.”

Mendes also stated ¨The availability and affordability of sequencing genetic information have improved greatly. Researchers and doctors are now better able to get information about a person’s risk for certain cancers as well as what drugs might work best for cancer patients.”

Pennies for Patients provides the opportunity for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to help families that are affected by these cancers. Pennies for Patients ends at DVC on February 22th.