Twinkle, Twinkle, Big Red Moon

Back to Article
Back to Article

Twinkle, Twinkle, Big Red Moon

The super blood moon hovering over the city of Los Angeles. 
Picture taken by Gemma Mendez

The super blood moon hovering over the city of Los Angeles. Picture taken by Gemma Mendez

Elena Marin, Staff Writer

On Sunday, January 21st, dozens awaited the Dash Observatory bus at Vermont and Hollywood. People of different tongues had bundled themselves in layers of clothing, holding blankets and bulky backpacks. All of these people had one thing in common—the urge to see the Super Blood Wolf Moon eclipse viewing at Griffith Observatory.

The moon glows brightly overhead the city of Los Angeles, a full white moon that is being covered by a crescent of red, coppery hues, slowly expanding and brighter each second.

According to NASA, during the lunar eclipse, the Earth blocks the light from the sun, giving the moon’s surface a red hue, making it a Blood Moon. The moon was closer to the Earth than usual, making it look bigger and brighter, which classifies as a supermoon. Hence the name Super Blood Wolf Moon.

Arriving at the Observatory, everyone was immediately greeted with a strong gust of wind and the chilly cold as soon as they stepped off the bus. News vans gathered next to the Dash Observatory buses. Long lines to look through telescopes, photographers taking pictures of the moon above them. People sat on beach chairs and wrapped themselves around blankets, talking with their families and taking sips from their Starbucks coffee. At the Promenade Walkway behind the Observatory, you can see people taking selfies in front of a clear view of the glowing city of Los Angeles and to the left, the eclipse glowed brightly in the night sky.

Not everyone was taking the bus to Griffith Observatory to watch the lunar eclipse—some students at Da Vinci Communications watched from their homes with their families. Sterling Blagg, an 11th grade DVC student, had gotten a text from a friend, who told him that there was a lunar eclipse and so he went outside to his front yard to go watch the blood moon with his father.

“I got a jacket on and grabbed some binoculars and went outside our door to the driveway and we just looked at the moon and just enjoyed life for twenty minutes,” said Blagg. “Instead of sitting inside and doing work or thinking about other mundane tasks we just got to enjoy something that isn’t there, well, not normally there all the time.”

Ashley Gonzalez, an 11th grade DVC student, was very impressed with the moon changing into a copper red color, a sight that one doesn’t have the opportunity to see often.

“I was outside in my backyard because at first my mom noticed and then she called us [Gonzalez’s family] all over to look at it and then we were pretty wow-ed about it,” exclaimed Gonzalez. “It was [a] really good experience, a family experience.”

Abigail Gleghorn, a former DVC student, and her family went on a road trip to Canada and had the privilege of watching the eclipse at Niagara Falls.

“I thought the eclipse looked cool, and honestly it fascinates me that we can actually see our own shadow on the moon!” Gleghorn exclaimed. “I was reminded that the only reason the moon “glows” in the sky is because it’s reflecting the sun’s light. It made me think about how even at night time the sun’s light can reach us… My family didn’t stay out too long ‘cause it was Canada and we were all freezing…But it was worth it, especially since both the moon and waterfall looked pretty that night.”

Gemma Mendez, 10th grade DVC student, thought that the eclipse looked “beautiful, cool, and incredible,” and even though she stayed out in the cold for a very long time, it was worth it.

“For me to be able to see that was really nice because from what I have read there wouldn’t be another “wolf moon” for another few years,” said Mendez. “I was very fortunate to be able to see it. I just thought that it was really cool and awesome that nature can create something so beautiful for us to enjoy and see for like one night.”

According to a NASA webpage on lunar eclipses, the Americas, Europe, and Africa will see another blood moon on May 16, 2022.

The bus ride was quiet, sleepy kids wrapped themselves around their parents and the eclipse was forgotten as people’s eyes transitioned to the glass screen of their phones, browsing through the pictures they took. The moon slowly transitions back to white until the red umbra rays were soaked away.

*Photo Credit to Gemma Mendez