First Girls Basketball Game In The New Gym

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hasan Daniels, Staff Writer

The Da Vinci girls first basketball game in the brand new gym was a physical, crowd-pleasing, league matchup between rival school, Environmental Charter, in which Da Vinci took control and won in a blowout by a score of 66-11.

On January 18th, after waiting patiently for the new gym to be built, the Da Vinci girls varsity basketball team battled against league member and rival Environmental Charter in the new gym facility.

After a two months delay, the parent’s, family, and friends finally got the opportunity to watch the girls play in the new gym.

“It feels a lot better to play in the new gym,” said DVC freshman Leilani Dexter, varsity team member. “It’s a big difference from Del Aire because it’s bigger and brighter and we are just happy to be here.”

After Da Vinci won the tip ball to start the game, both teams got off to a slow start after multiple missed shots and turnovers on both sides of the ball. About a minute and thirty seconds into the scoreless game, a steal and good fast break offense by Da Vinci lead them to their first two points of the game.

From that moment, the defense would be the story of the game. An abundance of steals would help Da Vinci jump to an 11-2 lead forcing Environmental Charter to call a timeout. Da Vinci finished the first quarter on a 9-0 scoring run leading by a score of 22-5.  

“Environmental Charter is one of Da Vinci’s biggest rivals,” said DVC junior Ryan Simpson, who went on to say “doesn’t matter what sport these two schools are competing in there will always be a battle, but I think the girl’s team playing in the gym for the first time will give them that spark they need to get the win.”

Environmental Charter entered the second quarter trying to make a comeback by running a full-court press. In the beginning, they ran it efficiently but they failed to execute offensively. Both teams didn’t have a very impressive quarter looking at it from an offensive perspective, but Da Vinci continued to put points on the board by playing gritty defense, scoring fourteen points in the second quarter while holding Environmental Charter to only three. The second quarter ended with Da Vinci still in the lead by a score of 36-8.

The second half was the beginning of a two quarter run for Da Vinci. The lady wolves started the game with a terrific defensive display with 3 quick steals leading to six points, forcing Environmental charter to use a 30-second timeout. After the timeout, Da Vinci did not lose any momentum, jumping to a 58-11 lead to end the quarter.

“I think all of the players were excited to play in the new gym especially the seniors because they have been waiting for a while,” said DVS sophomore and point guard, Alana Ortiz, “that excitement was what helped us play so well.”

The team went into the fourth quarter with a comfortable lead. They continued to showcase stellar defense, not allowing Environmental Charter to score during the last 15 minutes of the game, winning by a score of 66-11.

“As a team, we just tried to play our best,” said Kyla Prince, DVD junior and varsity captain, “we knew that family and friends were here to watch us so we had to go out there and play our best because this is our home and not theirs.”  

The Da Vinci girls basketball team rallied together to beat rival Environmental charter in which is the start to many wins in the new gym.