Battle Of The Bots

Back to Article
Back to Article

Battle Of The Bots

James Skinner, Web Editor

The Sumo Battle Bot Tournament presented by the Computer Science pathway featured theme music from Smash Bros and Street Fighter. As each pair’s robot battled students yelled, laughed, and cheered as the competition took place.

Jumping, screaming, and rounds of applause arose as the anticipation grew heavy with each match that commenced.

The driving questions for the project were: How do we use Raspberry Pi and Python to efficiently program robots? And how do we configure

sensors to allow for automated driving? Students used these driving questions to create their own robots that can drive, dance, go through obstacle courses and fight.

A large wooden table arena was created for the robots to fight on, with a 1-yard white radius circle for the robots to battle If the robot were to flip upside down by the opponent that means that the robot was defeated.

Koby Wu, a DVC senior and tournament participant said, “It was pretty cool because we got to learn a new language… and we realized that it’s not as not as hard as it looks.”

The tournament drew attention from principal Scott Weatherford and vice principal Adam Eynon, as well as other DVC staff.

“It seemed like a big range of people were excited about the tournament; it wasn’t just people that liked gaming, or the lights, cars… pretty much everyone in the group was was having a good time,” said Andy Galbraith, one of the Computer Science teachers.

Before every match, teachers Andy Galbraith and Eric Marintsch would yell, “3, 2, 1, Fight!”, which brought the tournament matches to life throughout the event.

“It wasn’t challenging because our teachers were there throughout every step and they helped us with a lot of stuff and with any questions we had, and that’s why it wasn’t really challenging and that’s why the atmosphere around us was fun and interesting,” said senior Ahmad Rakha.

All weapons and tools that were included on the robots were made out of either wood or cardboard R.C features under the tires were the only element of the robot that wasn’t handmade.

“We had a lot of creativity with what we could do, they basically gave a couple of constraints and we had to work within those constraints to make what we wanted,” Rakha added.

Zoraiz Hashmi, a DVC junior and tournament participant, hurt his knee celebrating his robot, “The Black Mamba”, after gaining a victory that took him to the semi-finals of the adrenaline-filled competition. He would then lose to Riley Brady and Sterling Blagg, DVC juniors who would become the champions of the tournament conquering all of the opponents with their robot.

“It was surprising because the day before the robot wasn’t even working,” Brady said. “Thanks to my friend, he lent me his robot so since we got it working I was surprised to see that we won.”

Judy, the name of the robot that conquered the competition grabbed the attention of Brady from the show “Judge Judy.”

“Judge Judy is someone who I’m very fond of,” Brady expressed. “She’s someone who’s unstoppable and she’s the greatest judge out there. I just named it after the greatest of all.”

2 Responses to “Battle Of The Bots”

1. Zoraiz on December 7th, 2018 12:47 pm

Rest in Peace my Knee

2. Brandon Rodriguez on December 7th, 2018 12:58 pm

Was very fun to participate in.

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Tis The Season Of Giving

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Da Vinci´s Cross Country Comes to an End

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Flu season, the role and importance of vaccinations

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

New Division New Competition

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Walkout Against Sexual Assault

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Girl’s volleyball Playoff Game Against Oakwood

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Da Vinci’s Gym Projected to Open in November

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

DVC Beach Clean Up

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

DVC Students Go Clubbing

• Battle Of The Bots

DVC News

Introducing The New Teachers At DVC