Flu season, the role and importance of vaccinations

Back to Article
Back to Article

James Skinner, Web Editor

The flu virus is a common illness that has a stronger effect between the months of October through November.

Vaccines have the potential to fight many forms of the flu. To keep DVC’s community safe it is recommended for everybody to take precautions when it comes to the flu.

Last season’s flu was one of the worst in history as an estimated 80,000 citizens died from the flu in 2017-18. With the new year approaching, the flu can return in various forms. Vaccines have been around since 1945 and were first approved for soldiers for healthier lifestyles in war. They were then made available to the general public.

Emily Green, the school district nurse, said that there are multiple strands of the flu that come out each year and the flu vaccine’s are designed to target a specific one.

Some flu symptoms include fevers, headaches, dry cough, sore throat, and muscle aches. If someone experiences these symptoms it is highly recommended to stay home and get some rest.

Green said that when you get the flu, even with the vaccine, you will get a smaller version of it and if you don’t get vaccinated then you’re exposing yourself to the full version of the virus.

Some ways to prevent the flu is by frequently washing your hands and also covering a sneeze with either a tissue or a sleeve rather than with their hands, avoiding contact with sick people and getting a yearly flu shot.

According to Business Pulse, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention produced-feature, “Each year, on average, 5 percent to 20 percent of the U.S. population gets the flu, tens of thousands are hospitalized and thousands die from a flu-related illness.”

Although the risk of dying from the flu may be slim, it is still very important to get vaccinated so that chances of getting sick decreases.

According to the CDC,“The flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year. For example, during 2016-2017, flu vaccination prevented an estimated 5.3 million influenza illnesses, 2.6 million influenza-associated medical visits, and 85,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations.”

Da Vinci has many students that come from different backgrounds that might affect vaccinations, their health, and other’s health. The more people that are aware and cautious for their safety the better the school community will be.

“Another reason to protect yourself from the flu is to protect other people around you, and to protect people that can’t get the vaccine or can’t fight it without it,” Green said. “You know, you don’t know what all everyone’s dealing with, It’s not just about protecting yourself, it’s about protecting our community.”