• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Exhibition NIght November 15

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

How much do you really know about your district’s representative?

Jordan Foster and Hasan Daniels

This upcoming midterm election, taking place on November 6th will give citizens who live in the state of California the opportunity to vote for a politician to join the House of Representatives who will represent the specific district in which the voter resides.

During this upcoming election, new politicians will try to become representatives for one of the 53 districts in the state of California. Most students and staff from Da Vinci communications reside in district 43.

The cities that district 43 is composed of is Carson, Torrance, Hawthorne, Lawndale, Gardena, and Inglewood. The current representative for the district is Maxine Waters. Waters currently lives in the Los Angeles community where she is very active. Waters came from a middle-class background in St. Louis, Missouri, similar to the people she is currently representing which is one of the reasons she has served as a representative for the district since 1990.

“I think the person representing your districting shouldn’t necessarily have to be from a city within the district, but they should know all the issues going on within the district,” said senior D’Artagnon Fulton. “They should have lived a similar life as the people living within the district to be able to connect them better on a personal level.”

To go more in-depth, a district is a group of cities sectioned off and overseen by government officials known as a representative. The amount of representatives that make up what is known as “the House of Representatives” is based on the population of the state and how many districts are within it. For example, the state of California has 53 representatives, which means there are 53 districts within the state of California.

“I believe each area should have a representative because since I am from Norwalk, I do not want somebody from Long Beach representing me,” said junior Daniel Ramirez. “Each area has different needs and only somebody from that specific area would know what needs to be changed.”

It can be important to know which representatives oversee which district because those are essentially the people who address the issues in that area. They are the people’s voice, and the people’s voice can not be heard unless the people’s representative actually speak up. The first step to having an active voice within the political environment is to vote.

“I think people who do not vote are either too lazy or just busy, but even if you’re busy there is a way to vote,” said junior Macie Legaspi. “People do not decide to vote because they don’t have that drive inside to do it, and they talk about wanting to change things but they don’t come out to actually do it.”

Da Vinci is home to students from all over the Los Angeles County. A common misconception is that Los Angeles is one large district, which is not the case.

The boundaries that are referred to as a district are drawn by the state legislature. The layout of these districts is often designed by the controlling party at the time which could be either Democratic or Republican unless, the state has the law set in place requiring both parties to work together to layout the districts. Contrary to that style of creating districts, the state of California, like Da Vinci, does things differently.

“Proposition 11 authorized the creation of the California Citizens Redistricting Commission. Proposition 11 changed the process that is undertaken once every ten years of setting (which sometimes means re-drawing) the geographic boundaries of the state’s 120 legislative districts and four Board of Equalization districts,” according to the website ballotpedia.org, a nonpartisan online political encyclopedia.

Instead of having the state of California draw the district boundaries, citizens within the state thought it would be best to organize a group of 14 people to draw the state lines in hopes of organizing districts.

Districts are based on how similar each specific area is based on where they are geographical, the ethnicity of the people who live there, and how much income the citizens collect per year.

It is important to vote for a district representative because for the next two years they will be in charge of representing the specific district in which they are assigned to. It is the citizen’s job within that specific district to choose a representative who understands their needs and already has an agenda set in stone to improve the different areas within that district.

About the Writers
Jordan Foster, Staff Writer

Jordan Foster is a junior at DVC.  His role in Journalism is being a staff writer for the Vitruvian Post. He has lived in L.A his whole life and doesn't...

Hasan Daniels, Staff Writer

Hasan Daniels is currently a junior at Da Vinci Communications and a writer for the vitruvian post. He enjoys playing sports and working out. He is apart...