• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Exhibition NIght November 15

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

Millennials in the Age of Trump

Immigration, abortion, terrorism, and other controversial issues have caused students at Da Vinci Communications to reflect on their own political views in the age of Trump.

In November of 2016, businessman Donald Trump was elected as President of the United States of America. While some Americans were happy about the results of the election, others went into an instant uproar.

“I feel that Trump is unfit to be our president mainly because of his sympathy to minority groups and the way that he handles political affairs,” stated Destiny Ceja , a senior pre-registered to vote.

After the election, conversations automatically began to transpire about how the presidency would change the nation. The more policies that Trump implemented, the more conversations were being sparked.

“Just because we’re under 18, it doesn’t mean that we don’t have feelings, emotions, thoughts, and opinions about our beliefs,” stated sophomore Matthew Garcia.” I think that’s really important because we’re the future generation that could probably change the world.”

According to Christopher Mele and Annie Correal, in the New York Times article, “Not Our President,” “One of the biggest demonstrations was in Los Angeles, where protesters burned a Trump effigy at City Hall and shut down a section of Highway 101.”

Throughout Trump’s presidency, people have been protesting against policies that Trump has executed since being in office. Some of which have been conducted by high school students.

“Ever since Trump has become president, students have been involved more in politics by either agreeing or disagreeing with the promises he makes on how he wants to make America great again,” communicated junior, Nada Jesri. “Students have built more courage to speak up about his actions.”

In the Los Angeles Times article, “Trump win sparks student walkouts and protest across the U.S.” written by Matt Hamilton, James Queally and Barbara Demick, “At Berkeley High School, about 1,5000 students- half the entire student body- walked out of class after the first period began at 8 a.m.”

Even though citizens have to be 18 and older in order to vote, high school students are still being vocal about their beliefs on various political issues. In the age of social media, it is proven to be both faster and easier to spread information. . A study conducted by the Pew Research Center showed that 95% of teens have said that they had access to a smartphone meaning that those teenagers have the ability to access the media.

“In the age of Trump, I do believe that teens are more politically aware because of the reasons that Trump was very vocal on social media and it is made a point that teens are more likely to see his views,” mentioned junior, Melanie Arabia.

As the media constantly covers politics some believe that since Trump’s presidency, more teenagers are politically aware, but others argue that isn’t the case.

David Hadley, businessman and former politician argued that “You could always find an article that says that this is the year that millennials are really fired up with something the president has done or something another candidate has done.”

Some view the current presidency as being the most controversial so far, while others see it as something that is bound to happen when it comes to politics. As Trump’s presidential term comes to an end, Millennials and a portion of Gen Z will become the next voting class and the new face of politics in America.

About the Writers
Kayla Mitchell, Editor-In-Chief

Kayla Mitchell is a senior at Da Vinci Communications and is the Editor-in-Chief of The Vitruvian Post. She enjoys listening to music and volunteering...

Sarah Carrillo, Staff Writer

Sarah Carrillo is an 11th grader here at DVC. Family, education and friends are three very important things in her life. Her dream colleges to attend...