• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Exhibition NIght November 15

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

Political Views From DVC

Hailey Reyes, Copy Editor

With 2018 midterm elections coming up on November 6, students and staff at Da Vinci Communications have the opportunity to discover more about current politics and political climate in an effort to understand their own political doctrines.

The 2018 elections, like past election years has been one full of controversies within ideological and political factions. The policies of the current president consistently makes the news. The confirmation of Supreme Court Justice, Brett Kavanaugh has contributed to causing a major stir in the DVC environment.

“I know that there was a protest that sparked from a few of the 10th-grade girls who were against his nomination,” said Nolee Bugarin, a sophomore at DVC.

With so many policies being debated and as interest in politics increase students often find themselves challenging one another on more political topics.

“Young adults are so active right now in politics,” mentioned Dani Guerrero, 10th-grade history teacher at DVC. “I think that’s wonderful that people are paying attention and getting involved in their communities.”

As students become more involved in politics, more students have feel the need to voice their opinion. When someone speaks out it can be important to that person that their voice is respected and received in a kind manner.

“If it’s like, a group full of Democrats and someone’s a Republican, we should still have the environment where there is someone who has an opposing political view should still be able to talk about their opinions and their perspectives on everything,” added Bugarin. “It gives more of an equal chance of conversation.”

Supporting a specific side of a political conversation could lead to students either relating to one another or to students not feeling confident enough to express themselves, especially if it’s on behalf of an unpopular opinion.

“I think the majority of the students are either like-minded in many scenarios or a little bit more quiet if they know that they have a belief that others don’t necessarily agree with,” added Guerrero.

According to U.S History.Org, some main factors that play a part in shaping a person’s political attitude are a person’s family, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, and region.

“I think it’s very important to listen to each other,” stated Dr. Lawrence Smith, a professor from El Camino College who teaches an Ethnic Studies college course at DVC. “But I also think it’s important to have an honest, transparent, open dialogue about it.”

\

Smith mentioned that things that are done in this country to “blankly cover up actual issues” prevent people from having a genuine discussion about them. Regardless of someone’s stance on politics, it’s important that everyone gets the opportunity to share what they feel honestly, and that there will be someone to listen to them in return.

“People usually close their ears, people usually stop listening, people usually talk over each other,“ noted Smith. ” I think it’s important to have an open, honest, transparent, conversation about these issues, and then listen to the opposite side.”

Listening to an opposing side of an argument, whether it be political or not, could bring something interesting to the conversation.

“It gives an equal representation of each side of the argument. Because if you’re just listening to like, a bias positive point of like, why this shouldn’t happen, then you’re not hearing the other counter-argument,” Bugarin noted. “It just kind of gives more of a balanced scale to the argument.”

About the Writer
Hailey Reyes, Copy Editor

Hailey Reyes is a junior and Copy Editor for the vitruvian post at DVC. She thinks writing for the vitruvian post will help her step out of her comfort...