• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Exhibition NIght November 15

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

Walkout Against Sexual Assault

Geovani Espinoza, Social Media Editor

On October 12th Da Vinci Communications students walked out of their advisories to protest new Supreme Court Justice, Brett Kavanaugh, along with the issue of sexual assault.

With Kavanaugh recently being selected as the 114th United States Supreme Court Justice, many students at DVC took to the parking lot to express their opinion.

“I’m actually quite impressed that students took initiative to stand up for something they believe to be wrong,” said Stephanie Osorio, a senior at Da Vinci Design who arrived school late and witnessed the walkout. “I mean right now I’m seeing them actually start to do something rather than just stand around.”

DVC was not the only school to take part in the October 12th Walkout., several students from around the nation also took part in the protest.

“We noticed that when it was spreading online and we were shocked to find out that around our school, students weren’t aware of this walk out,” said Isabel Yuekubo a DVC sophomore who organized the walkout. “We decided since we were pretty much the only ones who were aware we decide to stand up and lead it and we really wanted it to happen and it’s an important cause and you have to support it.”

While (estimated 50) students made the choice to walk out and protest, they all seemed to have their own reason for doing so.

“I decided to walk out for all the boys and girls that have been sexually assaulted and have had to experience the pain and suffering of being sexually assaulted and the injustice that has been faced with Brent Kavanagh,” said Kaitlyn Mccabe a DVC sophomore who walked out.
Mccabe also adds, “If we don’t speak up nothing is going to really happen.”

According to RAINN, a non-profit anti-sexual assault organization, every 98 seconds an American is sexually assaulted. One of every six women in the U.S. has been victims of attempted or completed rape.

“Personally I know people who have been sexually assaulted and I think the Brett Kavanaugh situation isn’t a conversation that is being had with children enough and I think that our voices are the most valuable and we need to be heard,” said Chelsea McKinnon a DVC sophomore who was a part of the walkout.

McKinnon personally feels that with a figure as prominent as Brett Kavanaugh these conversations are ones that may begin to happen and as a result, sexual assault cases may begin to dwindle down. However, she is unsure if this will happen.

With sexual assault awareness increasing, the stigma against sexual assault, some believe survivors continue to be normalized. Mccabe feels as though this ideology is only reaffirmed as more sexual assault survivors who come out aren’t believed or are dismissed.

“I think definitely with our generation and especially with women speaking up I think it’s going to improve so much,” Yuekubo mentioned when asked about rape culture. “We are going to have a voice and it will get better and come to a stop,”

About the Writer
Geovani Espinoza, Social Media Editor

Geo is a junior and the social media editor for the Vitruvian Post. He is very involved in the school community and tries his best to help wherever he...