• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Exhibition NIght November 15

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

Girl’s volleyball Playoff Game Against Oakwood

Hasan Daniels, Staff Writer

The girls first volleyball game against Oakwood was nothing short of an intense matchup that had the players giving it their all on the court; the fans jumping out of their seats trying to rally their team to victory, and the coaches giving their players motivation.

On October 18th, the Da Vinci girls volleyball team clashed against Oakwood in the CIF southern section playoffs. The winner of this match would move on to the semifinals game this Saturday to play the next team in their bracket.

“This game should be a very entertaining one to watch because based off what I’ve seen during warmups I feel both teams are equally matched. This should be a very close and exciting game,” said junior Ethan Barragan.

At the beginning of the game, Da Vinci got off to a hot start, opening the lead to 7-1 in the first set forcing Oakwood to call a timeout. After the timeout, Da Vinci continued to push the lead eventually winning the set 25-19. Da Vinci later went on to take the second set after an impressive performance leadership on the floor by Adelle Shaw and Alana Nicole.

“We really fought for our points and the team’s chemistry on the court was amazing during the first two sets said,” said outside hitter Kailie Torres.

Oakwood decided they would not go down that easily . Despite Da Vinci’s early lead in the third set, continuous aces and spikes by Oakwood kept them alive. the continuous rallies between both teams, Oakwood figured out a way to pull out and take the third set by a score of 29-27, after a nail-biting finish.

With the game potentially about to end, Oakwood gave it everything they had and went on a streak to open the fourth set. Da Vinci struggled to scored due to Oakwood’s defense which helped them secure the fourth set win with an abundance of blocks, shutting down the outside hitters, and racking up aces which led to a 25-18, fourth set win.

“We ran a lot of good plays but then we made a lot of mistakes that could have been prevented, but we gave it our all so in the end there’s not much you could do,” said middle blocker Jocelyn Gallander.

Going into the 5th set both teams were determined to go on the court and give it they’re all. Da Vinci had gotten off to a great start, beginning the game with two aces and many unforced errors caused by Oakwood which led to a strong lead by Da Vinci of 8-0. This quickly led to a timeout by the head coach of Oakwood. That timeout changed the entire course of the game. Oakwoods defense became too much for Da Vinci to handle which led to the clutch comeback. The team exchanged leads up until a missed served by Da Vinci and then a spike by Oakwoods middle blocker sealed the extra set by a score of 17-15.

“I feel like we played the best that we could, and we played really well this game despite what the results say, and we are going to come back even stronger next season,” said middle blocker Morgan Daniels.

Despite losing first round in the playoffs, record-wise the team had a good season. The team looks forward to using this loss as a motivation to get better over the offseason and possibly become CIF champions next season.