DVC Students Go Clubbing

Back to Article
Back to Article

DVC Students Go Clubbing

Kaiya Alsobrook, Staff Writer

With high school being a bridge to many other paths in life, students at Da Vinci Communications often find themselves focusing on academics and missing out on an intricate part of growing and being successful in high school; clubs.

At Da Vinci’s club fair, which took place on September 6th, 2018, students were exposed to many different student-run clubs which were all different in their own unique ways. BSU, G.R.E.E.N., Pink & Lavender, and Paws For a Cause were some of the clubs featured along with many others. While students joined clubs that appealed to them, they were also informed about how these clubs will benefit them in many different ways.

Clubs typically meet during lunch and after school from Monday through Friday. Some clubs are offered to all three schools in which meetings are usually held after school. Clubs offered only at lunch are typically meant only for the school the student attends. Teachers encourage students to join clubs so that they feel they are an active part in the school community.

“I think it’s important to join clubs because it’s really fun to get involved in the school,” 9th grade Math Teacher, David Wilson commented, “You start to make new friends. Being involved you start to feel that you belong here at Communications.”

By attending club meetings, students start to make new friends and build closer bonds with people in their school community who also share the same interests.

According to NYGEAR UP, a website that helps students and parents prepare for college, “You meet new people who have the similar interests to yours. You may also meet people from different backgrounds who you may not have had the opportunity to interact with before.”

While making good grades and having high test scores is a key point to getting into good colleges, joining and starting clubs is also a way for colleges to see who a student truly is and what they value outside of their academic career. Being involved in the school community shows that a student does things outside of school life.

“I feel that it will look good on my college resume. I would also like to make a change in the community and make it better than it is today,” said David Saddler, a DVC freshman.

While these extracurriculars help create a better school community, they also help students in a positive way. Being involved in something that they like or something that they excel in is a great self-esteem and morale booster can relieve daily stress.

According to Crimson Education, “The more you achieve success through activities you’re about, the more your self-confidence will improve. Working hard and mastering new skills in a fun, relaxed and sometimes competitive setting allows you to be successful without the pressure of getting a good grade.”

Although DVC has some returning clubs such as La Fuerza, Student Task Force, and D.V.P.C., there are many new clubs this year including Mind Over Matter, Friendship Club, Just Dance Club, and Friendship Club, which was an eye-catcher this past week. They held their first meeting on Friday, September 14th. Students ate lunch and bonded with the F.U.T.U.R.E.S students while eating pizza and discussing their favorite things to eat.

“Friendship Club builds community within the school aside from students we don’t interact with every day,” said Destiny Ceja, a Friendship Club leader. “Our club promotes inclusiveness and makes everyone feel like Da Vinci is a home and the students are the family. It’s really all about building friendships and coming to appreciate everyone.”

At DVC, there are a various amount of different clubs students can join. If students are not interested in the clubs available, they have the opportunity to create their own. Clubs continue to unite students and build the culture at DVC.

“DVC culture and clubs go together like peanut butter and jelly,” said sophomore Perris Ellis.

About the Writer
Kaiya Alsobrook, Staff Writer

Kaiya is a Junior here at DVC. When Kaiya isn’t busy with school she likes to play soccer or play with her dog Zoe. One quote that describes her is...

3 Responses to “DVC Students Go Clubbing”

1. Sterling Blagg on September 28th, 2018 11:40 am

I enjoy the introspective that you give to members of the clubs, and how you mention the benefits of some of the newest clubs.

2. Amber Keyes on September 28th, 2018 11:47 am

I really like the way you implemented student opinions. It gives great insight to DVC’s community and the people that play a big part in it. Also, the club fair was a huge success this year. Our school is getting soooo big!

3. Melanie on September 28th, 2018 11:48 am

Great title and article! I love the spreading of culture! I really like the last quote in the article.

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Tis The Season Of Giving

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Battle Of The Bots

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Da Vinci´s Cross Country Comes to an End

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Flu season, the role and importance of vaccinations

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

New Division New Competition

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Walkout Against Sexual Assault

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Girl’s volleyball Playoff Game Against Oakwood

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Da Vinci’s Gym Projected to Open in November

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

DVC Beach Clean Up

• DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Introducing The New Teachers At DVC