• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Student Led Conferences Begin October 8th-11th

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

Tryout Before You Fry Out

Samin Champion, Managing Editor

With the coming of a new school year, students at Da Vinci Communications find themselves with an abundance of opportunities to explore their interests and take on more responsibilities.

For many students, that opportunity can be found in the new sports possibilities.

This year the school has two new cross country and track coaches, Tyler Mar and Christopher Jackson. Along with the addition of two new coaches, the school is building a new gym facility, which would give Da Vinci access to new fitness possibilities.

Some studies have shown that playing sports can make the student well-rounded and increase their chances of going to college.

Research conducted and reported in the article, High School Athletes Gain Lifetime Benefits, which was published in the New York Times by Kevin Kniffin, teacher for sports management at Cornell University, produced evidence that concluded that people who played high school sports tend to get better jobs that offer better pay and benefits.

Playing sports can also improve interpersonal relationships within the classroom and help promote school culture.

“You get a better idea of the whole student or kid because they’re showing you competencies that they have on the court that maybe sometimes I won’t see in the math class,” Korey Hilady, a Da Vinci Design Math Teacher, said. “It gives me another perspective of who they are.”

Many students in high school balance sports and many other responsibilities.

“You have to be able to manage your time if you’re going to play a sport and you’re going to succeed in school,” Hilady said. “I think having that time blocked off because you are playing sports make a few have to manage your time better.”

With that, the question arises how can one balance schoolwork with sports or even find the motivation to juggle so many tasks while still being a responsible student?

Christopher Jackson, DVC 9th grade English teacher and Head Track and Field Coach stated, “The drive that you have as an athlete is the same drive that you should have as a student… as an athlete, you want to be faster, stronger, leaner, quicker. It’s the same in academics you want to be smarter more effective with your time, and improve your reading and writing, everything you do you are striving to be the best you.”

Based off of what Jackson said, Being a student athlete and being a student are synonymous, the same motivation and reasoning a person might use to be successful as a student might be the same motivation they use to strive as a student-athlete.

“Being a student athlete is hard; you can’t just throw away or cancel your other responsibilities, you still have to juggle school work, clubs, jobs,” senior Jalen Carter said.

Carter also noted that creating a schedule is the most effective way to balance workloads.

Being an effective student athlete varies depending on the person. For some, it can be a lifelong commitment, for others a subtle passion and for most at DVC an opportunity to build connections and school culture you wouldn’t find otherwise.

Morgan Daniels, a 10th grader at DVC and volleyball player said, “Volleyball, while a huge responsibility, is also an opportunity for me to vent and build relationships with my teammates I might not have had without it.”

Sports is a huge responsibility, but not one without merit. The benefits of becoming a student athlete far outweigh the negatives and can continue to build tendencies that a person can use for the rest of their lives.

“Just try it, you can never be active to a point where it hurts,” said Hilady.

About the Writer
Samin Champion, Managing Editor

Samin is a senior at DVC and the Managing Editor for the Vitruvian Post. Samin enjoys reading comics, Watching movies, listening to music, working out and spending time with his best friend Chris. Samin wants to attend college at UC Riverside or UC Santa Barbara pursuing a major in social sciences like Sociology and Psychology.

2 Responses to “Tryout Before You Fry Out”

1. Sterling Blagg on September 28th, 2018 11:39 am

I enjoyed this post, as it reminded me of how tough the sports are to manage.

2. Mr. Jackson on October 3rd, 2018 8:19 am

Great job Samin. You capsulized the essence of the benefits of being a student-athlete. Well done son, well done.

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

A Community’s Perception

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

Effects Of An Unhealthy Relationship

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

Stress: Healthy And Unhealthy Ways To Cope With It

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

The Meditation Pod

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

DVC Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

• Features

Kaepernick Nike Ad, How does DVC feel about it?

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

The Red Burden: A Homeless Woman’s Tale

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

A Spectrum of Humans

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

Journey Over the State Line

• Tryout Before You Fry Out

Gratitude and Action Over Guilt and Distractions

Tryout Before You Fry Out