• May 24Seniors: Graduation June 12

• May 24Seniors: Grad Night June 1

• May 24Buy a Yearbook from Noel´s Room

#InstaProm 2018

Insa-prom%3A+prom+live+photos+and+videos++on+Instagram+
Insa-prom: prom live photos and videos  on Instagram

Insa-prom: prom live photos and videos on Instagram

Riley Arnold, Entertainment Editor

Prom is one of the biggest events in young adult life. There’s the fancy outfits to the lively themes, the corsages and boutineers to making cherishable memories with your friends. 

While most have heard about prom, Insta Prom is lesser known. In honor of Instagram’s overall effort to promote positivity and create a supportive community for all voices, they hosted a star-studded Kindness Prom on Saturday, May 5. Hundreds of teen influencers who are verified on the app attended and took many photos that later created the hashtag “#Instaprom2018”. The event served to celebrate Instagram influencers and other teens who are doing an exceptional job at inspiring and encouraging others not just on Instagram but across the world. 

At Insta Prom there was a make your own crown table, an anti-bullying balloon arch to walk through at the entrance of prom, hundreds of burgers from the popular fast food restaurant In-N-Out Burger, and even a surprise performance from singer Charlie Puth.

The intention of the event was to bring “together an inspiring group of young leaders who are impacting positive change in their communities on Instagram and at home,” Lauren Schutte, the global creative programs manager of Instagram, told “Good Morning America.”

The social media platform believes that kindness and safety “are important both online and off” and the event’s positive affirmation wall, and overall “kind” vibe really shined throughout the entire event, according to Schutte.

Insta prom was designed to create awareness to bullying and make sure that young people who look up to these social media influencers really understand the importance of kindness.

Jaden Gray, a junior at Da Vinci Communications who attended Insta Prom because of his verification and 50,000 followers, stated, “I didn’t expect to go there.” His manager at Instagram brought up the prom and, instantly he said, “I’m there! What time do I need to be there?”

Insta Prom was a huge hit not only for the influencers who attended but for all fans who stayed connected with the influencers all night on their Instagram stories. The main message greatly helped Instagram create more awareness on big issues like bullying.

On May 7th, Instagram launched their new anti-bullying filter. “This new filter hides comments containing attacks on a person’s appearance or character, as well as threats to a person’s well-being or health. The bullying filter is on for our global community and can be disabled in the Comment Controls center in the app. The new filter will also alert us to repeated problems so we can take action,” Kevin Systrom, Co-Founder & CEO of Instagram said.

“It’s different from normal proms because at normal proms you are hanging out with your friends but at Insta Prom you are hanging out with people you have never met or haven’t seen in a while. There was around 300-500 influencers there and I got to meet new people who are big and got to hang out and talk with them,” Gray stated.

Many fans will be eager to see what Insta Prom 2019 brings.