• May 2Fire and Ice Dance Showcase! Blackbox Theater, May 17

• May 2FREE DVC Star Wars Movie Night! May 4!

• April 20Seniors: Return your PROM CONTRACTS by MAY 11!

DVC At NACAC College Fair

Joshua Jimenez (right) and Mauricio Delgado (left) tuning into the CAU (California Aeronautical University) booth.

Kayla Mitchell and Samin Champion, Staff Writers

On April 26, 2018, sophomores and juniors at Da Vinci Communications participated in the 2018 National Association for College Admission Counseling College Fair (NACAC).  Representatives from over 1,000 colleges and universities from around the U.S. provided information about their establishments to high school and middle school students.

Students were given the opportunity to explore diverse colleges by asking questions and collecting pamphlets as well as participating in college prep seminars. Many students prepared for this event in different ways. Some students prepared by writing a list of colleges that were going to be present at the event while others prepared specific questions they have about the college’s criteria.

NACAC provided students with a barcode, if scanned, the barcode would email students with more information about the institution. The college fair represents, for many students, the first of many steps into their life after high school.

Kenneth Garcia, a junior at Da Vinci Communications who participated in the field trip said, ¨Going into the college fair, I just narrowed down my list from 9th to 10th grade because in 9th grade I had a lot of colleges on my list and 10th I narrowed it down a little. Now it’s down to 10 to 15.¨

For juniors, this college fair was especially important because next fall juniors will be going through the college application process. Even though juniors are the main focus of this event, it’s just as beneficial to sophomores.

¨I think it was very informative because whatever question I asked them, it was always answered. And I got all the information I needed,¨ said Cady Tran, a sophomore at DVC.

Sophomores have the opportunity to seek information about these colleges, creating a list of what colleges they believe best fits their personal and academic pursuits.

Tran added, ¨I didn’t think that I would like some of the colleges that I visited, but I ended up really liking them and I plan on looking more into them.¨

At the fair students were able to extend their choices based off of the information given. One of DVC school counselors, Brittany Goodacre, stated, ¨The college fair is a great way for students to experience and get their feet wet with different colleges.¨

Goodacre then went on to explain how being at a college fair might not be as intense as being on a one on one college trip, but that in participating you get exposure to a multitude of colleges in a short amount of time.

After the fair students were given the opportunity to bond with peers and staff during a trip to Pasadena Central Park.

Andre Alexander, a junior at DVC, voiced that “The park was a nice time for people to hang out and come together. Taking the time to talk to friends and socialize.¨

This field trip was not only a time for students to gain more information about potential schools,but a moment for students to create a better bond and relationship with each other.