• May 24Seniors: Graduation June 12

• May 24Seniors: Grad Night June 1

• May 24Buy a Yearbook from Noel´s Room

Denim Day at DVC

Tatiana Uribe, Kayla Mitchell, Latasha Louis, Riley Arnold, Elizabeth Gonzales, Tiffany Brown, Timothy Davis, and Kiana Brady all participated in Denim Day by wearing denim on April 25th.

Elizabeth Gonzales, a junior at DVC who participated in Denim Day this Wednesday.

“There is no excuse and never an invitation to rape.”

According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN), someone is 

sexually assaulted every 98 seconds in the U.S..

In solidarity with sexual assault survivors, Da Vinci Communications students wore denim this

April 25th to support Denim Day and the survivors’ silenced voices.

“ I feel like no one talks about it a lot because it’s a very taboo thing,” said Elizabeth Gonzales, a junior at DVC who participated in Denim Day to take a stand against such a worldwide issue.

“It’s like no one wants to speak of it because it’s awkward or it’s too sad and it’s like you actually have to be open about it and say hey this is actually happening and we need to take a stand.”

Chloe Truhlar, a senior at DVC who participated in Denim Day with this look.

The origins of Denim Day were unknown and shocking to many DVC students who first learned about the case from DVC senior Chloe Truhlar at last week’s Community Dialogue.

In 1998 an Italian Supreme Court ruled that a woman who was raped actually “consented” to the sexual act because she was wearing tight jeans. They claimed that because she was wearing those “tight jeans” she had to be the one that helped her perpetrator take them off, therefore making the rape “consensual”.

“To be honest, it’s not fair,” said Latasha Louis, a freshman at DVC. Louis expressed that just because the Supreme Court wasn’t there to witness it, it doesn’t mean that the woman’s claim was untrue.

Latasha Louis, a freshman at DVC participated in Denim Day to make a stand.

Thousands of sexual assault victims are dehumanized and disregarded every year when they come forward with their accounts of sexual assault. According to the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey, 994 out of every 1,000 rapes end with the perpetrator walking free.

The power of Denim Day comes from the showing of solidarity and support for a group of people who are so often discounted.

“I know me wearing denim isn’t going to change the whole system, but it

still makes people aware that it is there and I think some people might not have wanted to wear it because they’re insecure about it or they don’t know how to be a part of a movement, but I think seeing other people

Lane Butler, a junior at DVC and a participant of Denim Day.

do it will make them more comfortable,” said Lane Butler,

a junior at DVC who wore denim to show solidarity.

Many other students participated for the same reason, or because they have experienced or known someone who experienced sexual assault or rape.

“I know people who have been victims of sexual assault and I feel like on behalf of them, I should represent,” said Destiny Feyijimi, a senior at DVC.

DVC students and staff have worked tirelessly to create an environment and school culture that addresses the problem of sexual violence/assault.

Tiffany Brown, a freshman at DVC and a participant of Denim Day.

Advisory lessons have made it a point that if students see something suspicious or someone that looks like they are being taken advantage of in any setting, it is necessary to say something to an adult.

“You might feel alone or not supported but there are men and women everywhere who do support you and are working hard to show that,”

Timothy Davis, resource teacher at DVC participated in Denim Day Wednesday, April 25th.

said Timothy Davis a resource teacher at DVC. 

If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual assault or rape they can contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline for assistance 24 hours a day at: 1 (800) 656 – 4673.

4 Responses to “Denim Day at DVC”

1. Laura Chase on April 27th, 2018 10:13 am

I enjoyed looking at the photos of everyone’s denim day outfits that were embedded in this article! It was almost like a fashion magazine format, but for such an important cause. Thank you to all of the students who helped put together this week’s advisory lessons, and to everyone who participated to stand in solidarity with victims of sexual assault.

[Reply]

2. Vivian de Waart on April 27th, 2018 10:16 am

I liked how you brought up this issue in this article while still highlighting the fact that our DVC students were supporting this anti-rape “campaign”. In your article, you made the issue clear and it made me think more about how these issues are important. You wrote a great article!

[Reply]

3. Analii Mosquera on April 27th, 2018 10:20 am

I like the fact that so many people are taking in action for this awareness. It shows that many people do take this seriously and don’t see it as a joke.

[Reply]

4. Isiah Santamaria on April 27th, 2018 10:30 am

This is very good information.

[Reply]

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

‘Tis the Season of Stressin’

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

Senior Events: Review and Preview

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

The New Sports Home Of The Wolf Pack Is Almost Complete

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

Island Eruptions

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

Targeted

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

Accessibility Within Metro

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

Welcoming Metro

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

DVC At NACAC College Fair

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

SENIOR CLASS OF 2018: COMMITMENT DAY

• Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

The Time Has Come