Celebrating Earth Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating Earth Day

Photo of succulents taken outside of Da Vinci schools building

Riley Arnold, Entertainment Editor

Earth does not belong to us; We belong to Earth.” – Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe and Dkhw’Duw’Absh chief.

Every year on April 22nd Earth Day is celebrated in the U.S. Although not one of the most celebrated holidays, Earth Day is vital for contemporary society and is defined as “the idea for a national day to focus on the environment,” according to Earth Day Network.

Earth Day was created to celebrate our planet’s environment and preserving its amenities for the future generations that come. Earth day originated on April 22, 1970, where 20 million Americans took over the streets in order to create a sustainable environment.

“Groups that had been fighting against oil spills, polluting factories and power plants, raw sewage, toxic dumps, pesticides, freeways, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values,” stated Earth Day Network.

Today in our society the fight for maintaining a clean environment continues at large. With the increase of pollution and the constant shift in climate change, more people are beginning to look at our world with new eyes to try not to take what we have for granted.

According to Libby Plummer a writer for Wired, “2016 was the hottest year on record since 1880, according to Nasa and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, with average temperatures measuring 1.78 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the mid-20th century mean.”

Many people take advantage of the resources that our Earth provides or just don’t appreciate everything we get from around us. Earth is a living organism that was given to us and has provided us with elements that help us strive and live our everyday lives. Without the earth, there would no longer be any living organisms.

If we continue at this rate with the way we are treating our environment everything will just get worse. More pollution, higher chance of climate change, and higher levels of heat that will cause our earth to overheat and start killing off different species one by one.

Terry Tamminen, a climate policy adviser, stated “the 5% of the world population who live in the US are responsible not for 25% of the world’s climate emissions, as the textbooks say, but for at least 50% of them if you include the energy needed to power the Chinese factories.”

In an interview, ABC News conducted with Bob Deans, the associate communications director of the Natural Resources Defense Council Action Fund, stated his point of view on Earth day. He states “Earth Day is a lens. It’s a focal point for us to look at where we are.

Deans goes on to say that “a lot of Americans do view this as a moment to take stock of the conditions of our air, our waters, and think about what we can all do in our own lives to try to make the future healthier for our children.”

However, Deans isn’t the only one who has a strong opinion on Earth Day. Here is a comment from one of our very own students.

Zoe Fontenot a senior at DVC who cares about our environment and wants to preserve its beauty stated “We have polluted the Earth so much from our time on this planet. We need to do as much as we can as soon as possible before it’s too late.”

So, let’s start to make our world a better place. Try to recycle one bottle a day to keep the pollution away.

About the Writer
Riley Arnold, Entertainment Editor

Riley Arnold is a senior at Da Vinci Communications and is the Entertainment editor for The Vitruvian Post. She strives to be the best she can and always...