• May 2Fire and Ice Dance Showcase! Blackbox Theater, May 17

• May 2FREE DVC Star Wars Movie Night! May 4!

• April 20Seniors: Return your PROM CONTRACTS by MAY 11!

It’s Their Thing

Simon alone on ferris wheel

Simon alone on ferris wheel

Simon alone on ferris wheel

Vanessa Hernandez, Staff Writer

A few weeks ago people sat in a theater filled from the bottom rows to the top, with people of all ages, anticipating what was said to be “a great love story,” Love Simon.

In the opening monologue of the story, Simon is explaining the normal life he has. His mother and father: high school sweethearts, his little sister who loves cooking. Although his life may seem normal, he has one big secret. He’s gay.  

Like most teenagers in high school, Simon is trying to“figure himself out.” High school is meant to be the four years of your life where you can make stupid mistakes. It’s also where you meet the best people of your life.

Maria Rodriguez, a freshman in college, was a bit hesitant to share why high school had been one of the “craziest” experiences of her life.

“I’m definitely not saying that it was horrible, but it wasn’t the best. You know? But, like Simon I had a close group of friends. We did everything together, we were each there for all of our lowest and our highest,” said Rodriguez.

Love Simon, follows the main character throughout his journey as a closeted gay. He begins emailing someone by the name of Blue. Eventually they start developing feelings for each other as they open up and confess some of their biggest secrets freely. Soon enough they both find safety in one another, sadly, it doesn’t last long.

Martin, a straight man, finds out Simon’s secrets when he comes across his email exchanges with Blue. He threatens to out Simon if he doesn’t get one of his good friends to go out with him.

“When you are barely coming out to yourself, how can you come out to everyone else? Your anxiety is out of control at the mere thought of someone else finding out who you truly are. Especially now. I think Love, Simon really highlighted that throughout the movie. The fear of not only someone outing you, but YOU not being able to do it yourself. Someone could just come and selfishly take that part of you, and that’s just sad,” expressed Erik Davis.

The movie weaves its way through this love story, but it also gives the audience a glimpse of what many young gay men go through when they come out. Towards the end of the movie, Martin leaked the emails between Blue and Simon announcing to people at Creekwood High School on their online blog that he was in fact, gay.

Soon after, Simon confronts Martin, “ I don’t care if you don’t think my coming out was going to be a big thing! You don’t get to decide that. I’m supposed to be the one to decide when, where, and who knows and how I get to say it! That’s supposed to be my thing and you took that away from me!”  

The hardest part of coming out, has to be coming out to your family. Will it be good? Will it be bad? Hearing all the stories of kids who never come out because they knew they’re parent were homophobes. Or parents kicking their children out. Parents neglecting their children, and forcing then to keep quiet. What of your story, ends terribly?

Davis looked torn when asked about his coming out story, but within all the saddest that consumed him, you could definitely feel his pride. Erik said, “ I wasn’t accepted. I remember my parents lashed out at me. How could someone, a boy, be gay? How could I be attracted to men? I wasn’t made for that. I was ignored for a good two weeks before my parents both sat me down. I explained to them who I was, I wasn’t going to hide anymore.”

No dry eye was found in the theater during the coming out conversation between Simon and his mother, truly the scene that had everyone on the edge of their seats.

So, students at Da Vinci Communications, to those who believe there is no purpose in this movie, please think again. 

“You deserve a great love story too.”