• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Student Led Conferences Begin October 8th-11th

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

You Want To Go Green? Well, Here’s How!

April 21, 2018. The Great LA River Clean Up, starts from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m. photo and information from James (JED) Donaldson.

Martina Flores, Opinion Editor

The Great LA River Clean Up is just around the corner for those who are interested in helping make Los Angeles greener. This specific clean up is named the largest urban river cleanup in America with thousands of people picking up at least a 100 tons of trash. Saturday, April 21 is the last day of the clean up, right before the celebration of Earth Day on Sunday, April 22.

The Great LA River Clean Up can be an enjoyable way for young people to get involved as it brings the Los Angeles community together to create a greener environment.

Nearly 10,000 green friends join this project to help clean the entire length of the Los Angeles River in hopes of preserving its nature for the future of LA’s health. The “Friends of the LA River” (FoLAR) non-profit organization and Angelenos have cleaned up the LA River for 29 years now and have been continuing on a progressive path since.

Organizers for FoLAR realize that the 51 mile waterway starting all the way from the San Fernando Valley all the way to the Pacific Ocean in Long Beach used to be a stunning sight to see. The once luscious green trees, clear freshwater and abundance of life amongst the waters have since been depleted with the overflow of trash that ends up in the river.

The LA River is in need of restoration and with the help of the Los Angeles community, including young students, the river can be one step closer to good health.

Although the event brings together concerned citizens, it also gives them an opportunity to celebrate. Nina, who participated in the Great LA River Clean Up, stated, “It was a great team-building experience, and it was inspiring to see all of the participants together for a common goal.”

Upon the event, volunteers will be given a brief overview on what kinds of wildlife surround the river, from there they will be sorted into groups of specific trash that they are supposed to collect.

“There was so much plastic in the river then. The trash sort really allows people to see that what they do in their neighborhoods, no matter how far they are, affects the river,” says Shelly Backlar, Director of Education Programs at FoLAR.

It can be an awe-inspiring sight to see children, families and people of all ages come together to not only make Los Angeles greener, but the world as well. Seeing so many people volunteer only sends the message that more people want to live in a cleaner community.

Students from all Da Vinci campuses still have time to register and sign up to volunteer at FoLAR.org/action/. Not only will you be a part of a greater community but the LA River will be free of tons of pollution. Plus, students can complete an abundance of volunteer hours and earn a green thumb! Happy Earth Day!

4 Responses to “You Want To Go Green? Well, Here’s How!”

1. James Skinner on April 20th, 2018 2:43 pm

I like how you did a lot of research on the LA river, and the actions that people are taking to clean it.

2. Laura Chase on April 27th, 2018 10:07 am

Sounds like this was an awesome Earth Day event! Thanks for posting environmental volunteer opportunities!

3. Kalista Richards on April 27th, 2018 10:19 am

Great descriptive and informative article, thank you for the very useful information!

4. Raya Dajani on April 27th, 2018 10:20 am

Your article was very descriptive and informative. Great job

• You Want To Go Green? Well, Here’s How!

DVC News

Da Vinci’s Gym Projected to Open in November

DVC News

DVC Beach Clean Up

DVC News

DVC Students Go Clubbing

DVC News

Introducing The New Teachers At DVC

DVC News

New Lunch Company at DVC

DVC News

‘Tis the Season of Stressin’

DVC News

Senior Events: Review and Preview

DVC News

The New Sports Home Of The Wolf Pack Is Almost Complete

DVC News

Island Eruptions

DVC News

Targeted

You Want To Go Green? Well, Here’s How!