There is More to Art than Meets the EYE

Back to Article
Back to Article

There is More to Art than Meets the EYE

The LACMA: Urban Light attraction in Downtown Los Angles. Made up of cast iron, antique street lamps

Sophia Solorzano, Multimedia Editor

Art is a diverse range of people creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts, expressing the creator’s imaginative or technical skills, intended to be appreciated for visions and emotional power.

LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art), a well-known museum based in Downtown Los Angeles is one of the largest art museums in the Western United States.

This museum has been collecting 130,000 pieces of art, over a span of  “60 years.” According to the museum home page form the Board of Trustees Elaine P. Wynn States.  The museum was established in 1910, and ever since people from all over the world, with about,”1.5 million people visiting yearly.” Come to not only admire art and to analyze the artist’s perspective. 

Looking deeply into a 1906 painting in France from the artist Fiance, Cameron Sturdevant was visiting from Oklahoma to see the different types of art, he said,” I come to expand my horizons, art is like solving a mystery and the museum highlights different artists that are underrepresented.”

There was a piece that Sturdevant mentioned, that was a Landscape of a dog and Partridge, painted in 1719, by artist Alexandre François Desportes. In this specific painting, “He looks confused, and has an expression, like why is this happening to me?”

Art throughout the museum has both historical and abstract art, there is no exact definition, for example, James Bhoge And his wife were really analyzing and talking to one another about what they see, Mrs. Bhoge said: “art creates, feeling, emotions a way to communicate without words.”

A few moments later, Mr. Bhoge chimed in and said, “art is communication on a different level, it’s an impression and the pure feelings.”

Through the four floors of the museum, there are different places around the world labeled in which art really takes a turn on the way people view the world.

There is Art form Korea, China, the Near East, Modern Art, Islamic Art, and so many more that with each art piece there is a story being told, a history, a new fact opens the mind. Carolyn Bottler who also enjoys art said, “expression is a human element that allows us to recognize each other’s divisions and differences.”

On March 25, 2018, there will be  an exhibit called City in the Cosmos: The arts of the Teotihuacan, with the director being Michael Govan a fellow Artist himself who focuses on, “landscapes, and was drawn not only because of LACMA’s geographical distance from its European and east coast peers, but also because of the museum’s relative youth.” stated Sanjiv Bhattacharya who wrote the Interview News this April 2017.

William Pereira is the architect of an art piece called City and Cosmos showing at the LACMA museum on March 25, 2018.  Sadly, in 1985 due to cancer, Mr. Pereira died. 

For many years the LACMA museum has opened people’s eyes through pictures, and abstracts, to sculptures, and nature. Taking into the account the architecture and the view, but for the sheer volume and diversity of art that you can see at one location.

For more information about the LACMA Museum:

Visit: http://www.lacma.org/

Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 11 a.m-5 p.m, Wednesday: Closed, Friday: 11 a.m-8 p.m, and Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m-7 p.m.

Restaurants: C+M LACMA cafe  and Ray’s Stark Bar- Hours: Monday, Tuesday,

Thursday: 11 a.m-5 p.m. Wednesday: Closed, Friday: 11 a.m-8 p.m

Saturday and Sunday: 10  a.m-7 p.m.

Reservations: (323)-857-6180

General Information: (323) 857-6000

About the Writer
Sophia Solorzano, Multimedia Editor

Sophia Solorzano is a senior at Da Vinci Communications and the Multimedia Editor for The Vitruvian Post. Sophia will be the first in her family to go...

1 Comment

One Response to “There is More to Art than Meets the EYE”

1. Efrain Gutierrez on March 23rd, 2018 11:38 am

Great article. I love visiting LACMA, great place with great art.

• There is More to Art than Meets the EYE

Entertainment

DVC students show their love for Japanese pop culture

Entertainment

Best Boy Band Since One Direction

Entertainment

Killer Queen, A Tribute

Entertainment

Artists of DVC

Entertainment

#InstaProm 2018

Entertainment

It’s Their Thing

Entertainment

Living in One of The World’s Most Lively Cities: A Resident’s Guide to L.A.

Entertainment

Why am I a Hoe and You’re a Pimp?

Entertainment

What DVC Students Are Wearing

Entertainment

Black Directors Taking Over Hollywood