The Great Divide Between Generations

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Great Divide Between Generations

Photo provided by,

Photo provided by, " Tips for blending generations into the same workplace, It starts with dropping the stereotypes"

Erica Bentley, DVC News Editor

There has always seemed to be a disconnect between generations, from the way they were raised to the technology used. This disconnect seems as if it has created a gap in our country today and an idle game of “Who’s to blame?”

People are familiar with the concept of different generations, often separated into groups that range from that of the Silent Generation, born 1925-1945, to Generation Alpha, born 2013-2025.

The generations that most people are familiar with, however, are the Baby Boomers, and the Millennials. These two groups are increasingly popular since they consist of the young adults that are contributing to the nation against those the age of their parents and grandparents who are hesitant to pass on the responsibility they’ve shouldered up until now.

“Ever since we became a species that lives primarily in cities, change was more rapid due to technological advancement,” Robert Allen, a member of Gen X, said. “There’s probably, even more, accelerated tension between generations that grew up with one form of technology and one real world than the next generation.”

Baby Boomers, born from 1946-1964, are usually blamed by younger generations for the issues occurring in the world today. These problems range from global warming to the failure of a thriving economy for future generations.

Millennials, born from 1980-1995, are also blamed for getting rid of certain things that used to be common in the U.S. The items that the younger generation are not buying as much are items that range from paper napkins, which are being replaced by paper towels, to diamonds, which are too expensive since one of the biggest concerns of millennials is crippling debt.

Matthew Ujemov, a junior at Da Vinci Communications and a member of a younger generation, offered a reason that the younger generations are not purchasing these items as much as the older generations. “Maybe they don’t use as many items as before,” said Ujemov. “But that’s because technology, in general, is advancing and they don’t need certain things compared to what past generations have needed.”

Though it may be the case that these issues are the effect of the generations, the world is ever-evolving and change is a natural part of life that people have to conform to. People in the multiple generations need to try to understand each other and the struggles that came with growing up in their generation.

It also seems that, because of the ever-changing economy, Millennials tend to have less money to spend on things such as diamonds. This may not be something that the Baby Boomers understand.

Millennials often blame the Baby Boomers for messing up the economy and not leaving them much to work with. The Baby Boomers, however, were just trying to figure out how to cope with the world that World War II left behind without starting anything too controversial that would put the nation back into that state.

Baby boomers were also raised with only their personalities to hide behind in order to meet people rather than the ever convenient apps on devices like the modern day communication. They were also raised with the technology of knobs on televisions, radio, and landlines rather than the remotes, Spotify or iTunes, and small computers everyone walks around within their pockets of today.

There are some in one of the current generations, such as Megan Mizrahi, a senior at Palisades Charter High School. “There’s a little generation in between the Millennials and Generation Z and I feel like I’m in that generation and I’m better than both of them,” Mizrahi offered. “Gen Z is basically growing up with no knowledge of the outside world because they are all being raised on technology and if they’re angry or upset their parents are like ‘Here have an iPhone, go away, play a game’ and I feel like I’m in the middle of that.”

Mizrahi states a very common feeling of those born about 1996-2000, those who are just on the cusp of Millennials and Gen Z. The only real point of separating groups of people into generations seems to be for the purposes of business, politics, and marketing.

It is not productive to look at the world in front of everyone and seek out a scapegoat. Instead of seeking out someone to blame, start a conversation, or at least be open to one with someone who may not understand the position of people generation.

2 Responses to “The Great Divide Between Generations”

1. dylan c on March 23rd, 2018 11:40 am

interesting look at the gap of technology in culture

2. raphael vigil on September 28th, 2018 11:49 am

I have never had a phone until I was in high school, specifically for the overnighter.

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Multimedia

The Injustices Black Men in America

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Midterm Elections

The Women Of Politics

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

The Final Countdown

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

Fame Can Influence Fake

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

This Concerns You Too

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

The Incompetent Mexico-U.S Border Wall

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

“My bus broke down!” Is that my fault?

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

Distractions, Professionalism or Self-Expression?

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

A Woman’s Womb, A Woman’s Choice

• The Great Divide Between Generations

Opinion

When It Comes to Feminism, Men Also Matter