• May 24Seniors: Graduation June 12

• May 24Seniors: Grad Night June 1

• May 24Buy a Yearbook from Noel´s Room

March for their lives, March for Our Lives: 3.24.18

The March for Our Lives logo.

The March for Our Lives logo.

Tatiana Uribe, Assistant Editor in Chief

After the tragic shooting that took place on February 14, 2018, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that cut short the lives of 17 innocent victims, many just students trying to get their educations, survivors, families, and the communities surrounding them knew they had work to do.

Change could only come from changing the laws that govern our society, so to make a point  classmates, along with the help of organizations like Women’s March Youth Empower, organized #ENOUGH: National School Walkouts and the National March for Our Lives to taking place on March 14, 2018 and March 24, 2018 respectively.

Students and supporters from state to state have already registered to walk in the March for Our Lives. Wendy Rodriguez, a senior at Da Vinci Communications High School (DVC) is planning on attending and marching throughout Downtown Los Angeles with other demonstrators on March 24.

Today, walkouts and marches have become well known political plays to garner attention to a topic that demonstrators think is pressing enough to protest for or against.

“Within this year only it’s been almost 20 [shootings], I believe, so far and it’s crazy that we haven’t done anything to change it and I think this march represents the change that we need to make, so I think that’s the main reason why I want to attend,” said Rodriguez.  

Thousands of students across the nation just like Rodriguez have voiced this same sentiment. They are tired of gun violence in schools, they are tired of prayers and condolences, they are tired of being unheard and complacent.

Seems it’s true that history has an affinity for repeating itself.

Chicano civil rights movements of the 1960’s were greatly recognized for the stand students at Los Angeles Unified District High Schools, specifically, those located in East Los Angeles took by participating in school walkouts beginning March 1, 1968. Later reports recall hundreds of students flooding out of classrooms in protest of the prejudice and disadvantages the school district placed against them.

They were tired of being regarded as second-class citizens, getting ignored and treated like they were hopelessly unteachable. These students recognized that they deserved better and that they should be listened to and taken seriously, regardless of ethnicity, native language, or immigration status.

Today, the students of Stoneman Douglas High feel almost the exact same way, but instead of racism being the villain in their narrative, gun violence and puppet politicians fill that role.

Students are tired of this narrative, however, and they have real solutions to the glaring holes in our current gun control legislation.

“I think there needs to be better mental health and background checks. Ban semi-automatic weapons, silencers, and bump stocks,” said Alison Howard, a senior at DVC also planning on attending the march. “We need to share and spread the message of not just gun control, but safety precautions as well. There are so many videos of people accidentally shooting themselves out there.”

You don’t have to know a victim or survivor of a mass shooting to feel passionate about gun safety. “In some sense, I think we are all personally affected by these actions because the world loses so much potential everytime an innocent life is taken for no real reason,” said Elizabeth Munoz, a sophomore at Morningside High School.

Students are also at the forefront of this protest because they know the terrifying reality is that if it can happen in one place it could happen in any other, even closer to home. “Just the thought that it could’ve been us, especially with the high school, it could have been all the students that were here and all their parents not having their child come home after making a promise that they’re safe in our environment and that they will always be safe,” said Rodriguez.

This isn’t something students should have to face. It shouldn’t be our burden to not only pick up the pieces of our psyche and attempt to put them all back together after a tragedy like Stoneman Douglas but to also fight tooth and nail to see real action from our Congressmen. However, not many seemed prepared to take on the responsibility and change is absolutely vital.

So students, teachers, parents, anybody with a voice and common sense: RSVP and march in March for Our Lives, be a part of the voice that says: ‘Enough is enough! Protect our children, not assault weapons!”

RSVP SPECIFICALLY for the Downtown Los Angeles March here: https://event.marchforourlives.com/event/march-our-lives-events/8798/signup/?source=&akid=&zip=

The Downtown Los Angeles March for Our Lives starts at 9:00 a.m. at 603 South Spring Street near Pershing Square and is supposed to continue from Downtown L.A. to City Hall before ending up at Grand Park for a rally.

RSVP for your local march here: https://event.marchforourlives.com/event/march-our-lives-events/search

1 Comment

One Response to “March for their lives, March for Our Lives: 3.24.18”

1. Greg Cowgill on March 23rd, 2018 12:54 pm

I don’t think even outlawing guns would help this; people would just break the law and do it anyway.

[Reply]

• March for their lives, March for Our Lives: 3.24.18

DVC News

‘Tis the Season of Stressin’

DVC News

Senior Events: Review and Preview

DVC News

The New Sports Home Of The Wolf Pack Is Almost Complete

DVC News

Island Eruptions

DVC News

Targeted

DVC News

Accessibility Within Metro

DVC News

Welcoming Metro

DVC News

DVC At NACAC College Fair

DVC News

SENIOR CLASS OF 2018: COMMITMENT DAY

DVC News

Denim Day at DVC