• September 17Register for Winter Sports By October 25th at AthleticClearance.com

• September 17Student Led Conferences Begin October 8th-11th

• September 17Juniors PSAT Exams October 10th

Letter From the Editor

Janae Polk, Editor-In-Chief

I’ve had the ultimate pleasure to attend a school in which I’m able to express my opinions and openly tap into my inquisitive side. Every moment I’ve encountered at Da Vinci will never be forgotten; the friends I’ve made and the teachers I have created amazing relationships with made me view my experience here worthwhile.

Although Da Vinci promotes a loving community where you can enter being yourself and unabashed to articulate your beliefs, we have our share of conflicts, the most recent being one that goes against everything the Da Vinci community stands for.

Last Friday, February 23, 2018, during the Black History Month CD, performances were amazing, which is a blatant understatement. Despite the phenomenal performances and presentations, there was a disruption caused by students who chose to share racist/sexually inappropriate “memes” with the teachers and fellow students despite the Black Student Union’s (BSU) knowledge. It was only until after the event that we were informed of the incident.

I can honestly say that watching my members and peers cry tears of frustration due to the lack of respect and understanding of some students was heartbreaking. It was difficult for myself to suppress the rage I felt at the moment. Most of us felt unsafe and unsure of how we would react to the situation the following Monday.

Despite the terrible incident that occurred, the Black excellence shown through riveting pieces of spoken word, Hip-Hop, and African dance were deeply moving. Being the president of the BSU, I was able to plan, along with many others, an event that continues to celebrate the ceaseless contributions made to society by successful Black people. My hopes are that when I graduate, another Black student will take my place and continue the legacy set by Da Vinci alumni who made BSU happen in the first place.

In no way have my views changed on certain groups of students here at Da Vinci, we are still one and we are still a family. My ultimate wish is that not only those involved in BSU but others who were affected by the incident learn to forgive the perpetrators. Our energy shouldn’t be wasted on resenting the source of disharmony, our energy should be used for strengthening our bond as students and a school.

This situation was a definite enlightenment to what’s possibly worse to come after we walk out of campus, it proves that although some offensive comments may upset and drive us to our breaking points, we must not let those comments make us reveal the worse parts of ourselves. The best piece of advice I can give is to educate, never stoop lower than those who use derogatory rhetoric to demean your existence. Respond to bigotry in a way that is peaceful, yet will leave a significant impact.

Given the recent negative atmosphere of the situation, administration and staff have been supportive in making sure those who were involved in the incident understand that what they did was not reflective of Da Vinci’s standards and their actions will not go without consequences.

I would not only like to thank Dr. Scott and Eynon for their persistence in making sure we restore the peace here at DVC but the teachers who have made it their goal to correct any situation in which any student feels discriminated against. I would also like to thank those who saw it just to report those who caused the incident, your choice to speak up has reassured the members of BSU and every other student that mocking someone’s identity will never be acceptable at our institution.

Thank you once again for your support,

Janae Polk

Editor-In-Chief

About the Writer
Janae Polk, Editor-in-Chief
Janae Polk is a senior at Da Vinci Communications and is the Editor-in-Chief of The Vitruvian Post. Although she spends most of her spare time reading and stocking up on books, she dedicates herself to writing poetry as well. While taking on a new position for the post, she is also the president of the...

3 Responses to “Letter From the Editor”

1. Ryan Doherty on March 2nd, 2018 11:04 am

I was not there on Friday when this happened, but I was honestly in utter shock that people in our own community, that is supposed to be safe and accepting, would do this to undermine their peers, even if they believed it was a joke. I personally know two of the people who did this, and their personalities that I have gotten to know seem so different than what their actions have shown.

2. Eric M on March 2nd, 2018 1:26 pm

This past week has been tough. I appreciate the way this article looks to the future and thinks about the path forward: “our energy should be used for strengthening our bond as students and a school.” The community we have built here is not something static, it is constantly changing and requires all of us to continue working and shaping it towards a shared vision.

3. Noël on March 2nd, 2018 9:47 pm

Janae,
    Thank you for such a thoughtful letter. I particularly loved this line, “Our energy shouldn’t be wasted on resenting the source of disharmony, our energy should be used for strengthening our bond as students and a school.” I think the way that our community responded to these events is truly indicative of our strength and the love that we have for each other.

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

The Final Countdown

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

Fame Can Influence Fake

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

This Concerns You Too

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

The Incompetent Mexico-U.S Border Wall

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

The Great Divide Between Generations

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

“My bus broke down!” Is that my fault?

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

Distractions, Professionalism or Self-Expression?

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

A Woman’s Womb, A Woman’s Choice

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

When It Comes to Feminism, Men Also Matter

• Letter From the Editor

Opinion

Addressing Gun Reform After Parkland, Florida High School Shooting

Letter From the Editor